1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Towing a Camper this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:42 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Towing a Camper this weekend

Thanks for all the help you guys have been in the forums. I appreciate it.

I got a '95 Dakota, 4X4 with ext. cab, 3.9L engine, manual transmission. I am going out to pick up a pop up camper this weekend, pretty light, only 1900 lb or so. The electric brakes on it don't work so that is my project this weekend to fix them. Needless to say I will be driving 4 hours with no brakes on the pop up. Go slow I know. Should be able to tow it no problem I think, however, I did raise my truck about 2" in the back with blocks and another inch with the air shocks I installed.

Anyone have any idea of "about" how much of a drop I may need to get for the hitch ball?

Also, this is the first time I will ever be towing anything, personally and with my truck. Any helpful hints anyone can provide would be appreciated.

I think I saw Crazy towing a pop up.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:54 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Good deal

ummm, I would guess 2 inches or so, how high does the tongue sit on the camper, just go from there with visualizing the camper sitting level then make an gestimate

One notable thing I would advise is dont try and counter steer if the trailer is weaving back and forth from wind or whatever, just point the truck straight, maybe slow up a tad so it doesnt get to violent wobbling and you should be fine. I see a lot of people hauling larger trailers that try and counter steer for the wobble and they end up making it worse and if the trailers big enough it'll do what it wants, like making ya lose control... You should do fine though, just take your time, keep an eye on things and I am sure things will go super smooth... Good luck man!

Old 12-10-2008, 02:29 PM
fishlessman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the drop really depends on the trailer height as well, my enclosed trailer has a 5 inch drop to sit level but the trailer frame is really low. you really dont need the electric brakes for a 1900 pound trailer but they will be nice. that 95 will tow way better than the 3.9 in my 89, the 89's are a slug when towing, for that matter they are a slug when not towing.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:56 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker

Well, now for a real question. I of course raised my truck, almost 3" in the front and 4" in the back. My new pop up has a really low clearance. I asked the questions on raising the pop up in the pop up forums on the net with no help. Guess they just don't raise their pop ups all that often. So...I will turn to everyone here. I figure there isn't a better group to ask about raising something. So, any ideas? Right now it has no brakes that work, heard the thing had electric brakes. Also concerned about sway problems if I raise it. Of course, adding a tandem axle setup would fix this?? Thanks.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:56 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker

Photo might help huh?

Last edited by dbilik; 03-21-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would just get a drop hitch to have it pretty level and call it done. that on is small enought it should pull good. and you got a manual trans too, so you can help slow it down by downshifting if need be. i have pulled several cars with mine on trailers, was no big deal.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya these trucks are great towers. For the hitch I would say for a 3in lift maybe a 4 in drop. It does depend on the truck, and trailer. I would say get a 4in, and if you have to you can get a raised ball. And once you put on the trailer the truck will drop down a bit. If you have the money there are the hitches that are hight adjustable. A little pricy.

That Pop up I have is accully heavy, for its size. Its around 3,500lbs. I have maybe 4-5 lift. I have to use a 6in drop on it. My nice camper trailer is heaver around 5,000lbs and is just a tad bit higher.

As for advice on towing. As you said go slower but with the extra weight its not that hard to do that. You said about a 4 hour drive. But you didnt say highway speeds or any tall hills like moutain roads. If you do go on highway, like said above dont over correct if you have a sway. Keep the truck still and slow down slowly, not a fast stop. If going down mountain roads you can down shift a gear or so to help as an engine brake, (Like said above again). Automatics can do this too. This will save your brakes on steep hills. Electronic brakes are great. But with that weight it shouldnt matter to much. A big tip since you never towed before (Im sure your aware) When reversing you want to turn the truck the opostite way then the way you want the trailer to go. It can be confusing but practice will make perfect. And when taking turns do wide turns. Dubble check all the lights work and get the ball as tight as you can and if you have gear inside the trailer the weight should be more towrds infront of the axle. 60% weight in the front and 40% rear. If you get swaying you can move more weight towds the front of the axle. With the safty chains make a X with them opiste sides.

Nice trailer. Mine was an old one. 80s. Its gone now. It had canvas. It was long If I remeber it was around 18ft long when closed. If I remember some more tips I will post it up.

Quick Reply: Towing a Camper this weekend