1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

91 headlight door swap question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 03:39 PM
kalelin38
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 headlight door swap question

I have a 91 dakota, had it about a week and got into an accident. I have been having a problem finding the right headlight door and lights for it. I have sealed headlights, but the only used or Ebay parts I can for is the Aero package with the composite headlight. I like the look of the Aero package and it also looks like I would get more light out of the Aero style lights

So can you convert to the Aero Package? It looks like both window doors have the same shape and should, but the issue I would have is the headlight bulb not fitting the original wiring harness. I called a Dodge dealer and they couldn't answer this question for me.

Anybody out there got advise

Old 12-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If I remember Someone asked this question before. I dont know if you have tried a search yet. I think they said you will have to switch the rad support as well and the grill and wires. Get a junkyard set up if you realy want it.

But ebay has all you need. You just have to type in "dakota 90 light" And they have the cool projector lights for yours. Here is a few http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4x6-B...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLEAR...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 12-18-2008, 09:42 AM
dirtball
Rookie

I put a 96 front clip on my 90 - I got all the parts from http://www.absautosupply.com/
They're new, cheap and seem pretty decent.
You will need to modify your existing headlight plugs - Autozone etc sells replacement crimp on connectors for the 9004 type bulbs.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:27 AM
kalelin38

Originally Posted by dirtball
I put a 96 front clip on my 90 - I got all the parts from http://www.absautosupply.com/
They're new, cheap and seem pretty decent.
You will need to modify your existing headlight plugs - Autozone etc sells replacement crimp on connectors for the 9004 type bulbs.
So what you are saying for the headlight, the wiring is the same for the sealed bulbs, just need to change the connector. So it I got the Aero package from a junk yard I could just cut the headlight connectors from the junk truck and put them on mine.

Here is the second thing I want to know. Did you have to change the radiator support to fit the Aero headlights?

Old 12-19-2008, 07:52 AM
dirtball
Rookie

I put the 91 core support/radiator support in. What year is your truck? if it is 91-96 they should bolt right up, your signal lights will plug right in, but the headlight bulbs use a different socket from your sealed beam setup.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:30 PM
kalelin38

Originally Posted by dirtball
I put the 91 core support/radiator support in. What year is your truck? if it is 91-96 they should bolt right up, your signal lights will plug right in, but the headlight bulbs use a different socket from your sealed beam setup.
My truck is a 91 so I assume the radiator support is from a 91. That was the big question, if the 91 support with the sealed beams would accept the composite set up. Nobody at the junk yard or at the Dodge dealer could answer that question for me. I did find out there are two different supports but I think the only different was the radiator size. My support is bent but I think I can can bend it back, but if I can't I will just get the one of the junk truck that I get my other parts from.

Thanks, you have been a big help if you are right

Anybody else have something different to say on this issue?

Quick Reply: 91 headlight door swap question