1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

HVAC control unit removal...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:41 AM
95dakoder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HVAC control unit removal...

So my switch that regulates how much air is blowing broke... in the off position, and it's horribly cold in Chicago right now. I got the trim off, and removed the 2 screws that hold in the HVAC control unit, and but I can't get behind it to disconnect the wiring because of the plastic separators that separate the stereo and the air ducts from the control unit.

How do I finish removing this P.I.T.A. control unit??

Old 12-18-2008, 01:44 AM
codydakota
Captain

It should pull out enough to get behind it and unplug it, make sure it's not catching on anything. I've never had problems getting to the back of them, granted it won't be a lot of space, but enough, especially if you have skinny fingers like me

Old 12-18-2008, 09:04 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you might need to get the cable that connects to the temp slider disconnected first. I am working on the same thing (in Chicago too, so I know where you are coming from) because I need to get to the heater core. That cable didn't have enough slack to allow me to pull it out. I pushed it down and off of the little knub that the end of the cable was attached to with a screwdriver. Just remember how you do it for when you need to put it back on.

I am sure there is an easier way, like disconnecting the cable from where it terminates to create more slack to work with. Especially during reassembly.

Where did you get the new control unit? I am having a hard time finding one. I am missing a few speeds on the blower when I move the switch.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:05 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker

Oh, and I could be wrong, but I believe I was also able to reach all of those vacuum hoses when I replaced my radio. It was a long time ago, but once I got the radio out I haveskinny arms and was able to get around back there.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 AM
dirtball
Rookie

Speeds on the blower are most likely the resistor unit accessable under the hood.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:06 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker

For me, I replaced the resistor and it didn't fix the problem. I am guessing it is the control. Having a terrible time finding a replacement for less than $180.00.

95dakoder, the switch actually physically broke off on yours right?

Quick Reply: HVAC control unit removal...