1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Posi-Trak

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:33 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Posi-Trak

Well, I feel stupid for missing it, but I can't believe I haven't seen the threads for a posi-trak differential before. I am looking at putting in a new clutch come spring time, just as regular maintenance as I have 116,000 miles on it now. I was really considering installing this positive traction differential at the same time, and a new throw-out bearing. This thing really seems to have some great benefits as far as I can tell. Are there any downsides? Anything to keep in mind for the install? For around $300-$400 it seems like a huge improvement on a 4X4.

Also, the links to the part sites in the FAQ have been changed I guess because they are not showing any results when I click on them.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:22 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LSD are better then regular open diff's. But a full locker is even better. The benifets of a LSD is it is streetable and give better traction then open.
A downside is it does not give 50 50 to the rear tires. More like 70 30. Most have clutches that wear can wear out.

A full locker will give 50 50 to the tires. This will give you the best traction you can ever get, for street, strip, dirt, mudd and just about everything. Some are slectable so you can turn on when you want and off for everyday street driving. Some are fullly automatic wich can be ruff on streets.

For a new LSD or selectable locker unit it will be around $700 - $800. and the ring and pinion will have to set up properly and MUST be set up PERFECT or else it will distroy everything. Pro install $500 or so.
The best for the buck of traction adders is the powertrax lockright. Easy install and 1hr install time with simple tools do not need to mess with the ring and pinion. I have the powertrax no slip locker. I love it and no problems. Some people have had problems but its most likly due to installed incorrectly. http://www.ringpinion.com/PartsList.aspx?
http://www.differentials.com/pdfs/5.pdf

Which part sites in the FAQ are not working I can fix it but need to know exactly what is not working, as far as I know they all work. And is it in FAQ or FAQ2.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 12-28-2008 at 03:25 AM.