1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

ABS code 7 and brake light problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:55 PM
paulbug
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS code 7 and brake light problem

So...I've had solid ABS and brake lights on since I got the truck a couple months ago. I read through the manual and took apart my passenger side dash area to get to the ABS module.
I connected my ABC module diagnostic wire to ground and it started flashing--7 quick flashes. The manual says it's a choice between a bad valve, a bad module, and a short between the antilock valve and the ABS module.
Anyone have any experience with this?
How do I find a short? Just follow the valve harness wire(s) all the way to the module (if that's even possible)...and look for a corroded or broken wire?

Any advice?
Thanks
Paul in CA
Truck: 1991 3.9 v6 2wd automatic

Old 12-28-2008, 09:28 PM
mikeinoregon
Amateur

If the brakes are working normally, other than the indicator lights, I'd lean towards a bad module, just due to age and wear/tear?

I can find a way to send you the pages out of the FSM for the anti-lock system if you don't already have them?

-Mike

Old 12-29-2008, 12:10 AM
paulbug

If the brakes are working normally, other than the indicator lights, I'd lean towards a bad module, just due to age and wear/tear?
I can find a way to send you the pages out of the FSM for the anti-lock system if you don't already have them?

Ya, brakes working normally, pretty much. I noticed a slight leak out of the master cylinder. How much is a module? I'll look for a short first (cheapest fix.)
I have the Chilton manual with all that info, but I don't know if there's more info in what you have--send it if you think it'll help, and thanks!
Paul

Old 12-29-2008, 02:39 AM
mikeinoregon
Amateur

I checked online, and new/remanufactured modules seem to run between $86-105. Another possibility might be a junk yard, though there's the chance that a junkyard part may or may not be good, etc.

The FSM mainly had the test procedure, which it sounds like you've done, and the fault code definitions.

I'll PM you the stuff from the FSM, as my scanner's inop, just in case it might shed some extra light on it.

Quick Reply: ABS code 7 and brake light problem