1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Good alignment shops?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DukeSupes
*sorry, bit of a rant here*

I am just appauled by our society and economy at the moment. Seems like although the price of gas/oil has gone down the prices on everything else is the same and going up. I have found myself having to cut other things like cable programming and turning down the furnace and putting on more clothes to keep warm to help compensate for this downward spiral we have been in for some time. And now the prices of automotive repair just plain P122 me off. These chain stores realize that most people dont go through the time to look into the quality of work and at different garages and instead rely on their "nation wide warranty" (that doesnt mean anything because you still have to pay to have the labor done again should a fault be found) and commercials to lure people in and charge double as much money for the same work that a "mom and pop" garage does for much much less. Thing is that the mom and pop stores realize how hard people are being hit and although they are in business to make money, they are not going to slide it in when you are not looking.
Don't forget DukeSupes, you have the right to choose, and therefor find the best price. That's the great thing, here in America, no one can tell you that your getting your truck repair with THESE parts by THIS guy at THIS price.

But it is really expensive. You could save yourself so much money if you did the ball joints yourself, and then drive in for an alignment. Know a back yard mechanic or friend that would be willing to do it for some suds?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:20 AM
mr.318
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd stay away from the chain stores,That warranrty ani't worth nothing if they can't get it right,I payed 69 dollars at pepboys then when they was done they said they couldn't set my toe end ??? fussed with manger never got my monry back.Found a local family owned shop charged me 30 dollars done it right,The wifes 99 ram needs new upper and lower balljoints out the door at the dodgedealer 3348 dollars my little localshop 558 dollars go figure just my 2cents

Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM
DukeSupes
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh trust me I am done with chain stores except for maybe taking advantage of that Firestone complete/unlimited alignment package. I finally wound up calling the guy at the garage way back home that rebuilt the entire fron end of my '66 charger 5 years ago. He still works there and remembers me! So when I told him about replacing all 4 ball joints he said that with 2 hours of labor and a 35 dollar alignment the bill would be 125 plus tax if I could get the parts myself. So using rockauto.com tp purchase all 4 ball joints for 171. I am very happy about this

Quick Reply: Good alignment shops?