1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New guy / new truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:26 PM
WrenchSparx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy / new truck

Hi guys,
I just picked up a '93 Dakota 4x4 at an auction this weekend. The truck has the 318 V8 and an automatic tranny. According to the Odometer, the truck has only 54,000 miles on it. Carfax seems to confirm that this mileage is correct. If it is true, I think I got one hell of a deal for only $900

It was running pretty crappy when I drove it home from the auction, so the first item up for attention was a thorough tune up. Replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV valve, and air filter. Also gave it an oil change. Runs smooth as a sewing machine now!

Next big thing will be fixing the tranny. It shifts through 1, 2, and 3, but won't shift into overdrive. The O/D bypass button will light up if I press it, but I still can't get it to go into overdrive. It always shifts 1-3, but sometimes it just acts kinda funny going between gears. Guess a trip to the tranny shop will be in my future. What kind of tranny would this thing have in it?

Third thing will be fixing the exhaust. Muffler right now is very "well ventilated". I will probably have a muffler shop split it into duals behind the cat and come 45 deg. out behind the rear wheels with some tips. I like it loud.

Anyone know a good website for decoding the codes on the spec sheet under the hood? I know GM calls them RPO codes, but not sure what Chrysler calls them?

Thanks for any help...

-Tony

Old 02-08-2009, 10:32 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, welcome! It sure sounds like a good deal you found. The tranmission is most likely a 46rh (A-518). The overdrive problem could be temperature related. 1st-3rd gears are hydraulically controlled and overdrive is electronically controlled. If the fluid temp is not in the normal range it won't shift. You could also check the TV cable to make sure it's properly adjusted. I'm not sure what codes you are referring to but any dodge dealership can get you a build sheet with your VIN.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 02-08-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:06 AM
codydakota
Captain

Welcome, you got yourself a good deal. even if you find that you need a trans (worst case scenario), that's still less than you would have paid at a dealer or thru private sale. Keep us posted on how everything goes with it!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:20 PM
WrenchSparx

Thanks guys. I don't have as much experience with Mopars as I do with GM and Ford vehicles, so this is a learning experience. The only other Mopar I've owned was an old W250 with a Cummins diesel.

Got more of a chance to drive it today... good lord this thing is fast! I can't even believe they offered a V8 in the Dakotas. Can't imagine what it'll be like once I get a good tranny in there!

I think there's more to my tranny problem than just electronic O/D issues. Driving home tonight, I noticed it slipping a little when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Also noticed that when you let off the gas going down the road, the engine coasts back down to idle, instead of keeping the RPM's up like it should. Almost as if it was in neutral.

I'll take it into the tranny shop to have them look at it, but I'm not too keen on paying to have the thing rebuilt. I'd almost rather buy a new one and put it in myself.

-Tony

Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

Welcome.

Nice price for that truck.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just out of curiosity, have you checked the tranny fluid? I pulled my tranny a couple months ago and when I got it back together it slipped real bad until I got enough fluid in it.

Quick Reply: New guy / new truck