1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

crank sensor R+R

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:35 PM
crazy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank sensor R+R

swapping the tranny in my 93 3.9 and i want to remove the crank sensor so as not to take a chance of breaking it and need to know what type of bolts hold it in,,they don't appear to be a standard bolt head ,,look like mabey a torx or allen ,,anybody know what size and which one torx or allen?and will it bolt up the same going back in or does it involve any adjustments?
thanks
crazy

Old 02-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are allens, dont recall the size, but not too bad to do, and there are no adjustments, just play and play design. it is a good idea to remove it because i broke mine!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:48 AM
crazy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks bad96

thanks bad ,,i looked online at prices for them and they ranged between 75-138.00,,can't fit that in the budget,,lol,,and breaking one would definatly be the start of a bad day,,i'm in the prosess of pulling the old 42 tranny ,,got everything disconected and the back half off and the driveshafts out,,and going to start the actual tranny bolts today and i want to be sure i don't start breaking things,,the 46rh appeares to be exactly the same except the inspection cover in the front is a bit different,,otherwise plugs and everything you told me about are the same,,i am wandering about the seal between the tranny and transfer case,,both the 42 and 46 didn't have a gasket ,,my repair manual says there a gasket between them??? i really don't think this tranny has ever been out before so i'm guessing it never came with a gasket,,would you recomend a gasket or mabey silicone or just metal to metal??thanks again
crazy

Old 02-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a thin coat of rtv would not hurt, maybe one of the 4wd guys will chime in and say, and it made me sad when i broke my overly expensive crank sensor

Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope, the transfer case doesn't have a gasket to go between it and the transmission (at least from Chrysler).
My rebuilt transfer case came with a gasket to use. I would recommend using some kind of gasket or gasket material though.

Quick Reply: crank sensor R+R