1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

turbo setup ideas. (plz post yours)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Blue 12
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo setup ideas. (plz post yours)

ok, my best heads thread turned into a turbo/engine management thread so lets continue it here.

to recap, i think ill initally try a single turbo setup at 6psi(unless its possible to go with more) on a stock motor. probly the 318 as it has better flowing heads than the 360(and i allready have one lol). i may later go with forged low cr pistons for more boost/power.

turbo selection, i have been talking to a few turbo guys and they suggested the Holset HY35 found on the 5.9 cummins diesels. quick spooling, very rugged construction (they run 25-30 psi in oem setups and last "forever"). in addition to V8s, they are also popular on small 4 and 6 cylinder imports ect. also cheap as they are used in oem applications.

intercooler, where do i put the damn thing? (pretty sure i need one to be able to run any amount of boost) i have ac and dont want to loose it. i would have room in front of the rad if i didnt have ac.... there is extra room under the hood with my 6 in body lift. ideas welcome!

fuel/ ignition, ill be using a stand alone setup. megasquirt to retain the efi. what will need to be upgraded? im not sure how much power the stock fuel pump/ injectors are capable of handling. i know many of the "kits" out there for superchargers raise fuel pressure to get the exra fuel required when on boost. do they also replace the injectors? how much ign retard will i need under full boost?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the retard for timing is usually 1 or 2 degrees per psi. i would get an msd BTM box, it reads boost and has a **** in the cab that you can adjust on the fly for retard per psi. for fuel, aeromotive makes several controllers that will adjust for the boost and have a secondary fuel pump that kicks in when needed. i have been wondering about an intercooler mount also... i dont want it to interfere with my a/c or radiatior, i was thinking about some cutting holes in the front bumper and fiberglassing around it so it did not look stupid, just av to figure out a way first, lol. you can get a set of injectors from a navigator for a better flowing injector, and they sell those and FMS injectors from krcperformance i several different volumes.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:03 AM
Blue 12
Professional

Ill be using MegaSquirt to control the timing(and fuel), i just need to know how much to pull. no need to buy an extra box. the way MS lets you tune the timing, you specify the timing in terms of manifold pressure and RPM. So it's a natural part of the timing map.
if im buying a fuel pump, it wont be a secondary one, and i wont be getting another box to control it(ill have 1 box in control of my motor not 3). it will be one big enough to handle everything, probly a Walbro. Im not sure what the limit on the stock pump is? gph rating anyone? was reading about a turbo 318 that used 24pound injectors and raised fuel pressure, but he was running 10-11psi of boost. im not sure if ill need to go that big or not(maybe i should just incase). i think im limited to 6ish psi on a stock motor on pump gas, but i would love to hear otherwise.
as for the cooler, i was out working on the truck tonight and i think if i got a thin electric fan i could move the rad and ac cooler back enough to fit an intercooler in front

Old 03-13-2009, 09:42 AM
408Ram
Rookie

I have been told that you can buy two sets of used or new stock dodge neon turbo injectors from the srt4 and they will be what you need to flow enough fuel for what a stock engine would handle. The inter cooler is not a must. You can do water/methanol injection and get the same results or do nothing at all. The problem is if you do nothing about the high temperature, it will add to the detonation issues. Water/methanol injection must be refill it if you go under boost often and it is another item to wire in. It is not hard. It would be the easy way out.

If you want to go with an electric fan then look at the Lincoln mark 8’s fan. It has a big following in the hot rods.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Bad96_3.9
All Star

the mark 8 fan will not fit, already tried, even trimmed it to its very limit and would not work. wish it would have though because it moves alot of air.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Blue 12
Professional

was the fan too wide? too tall? why wouldnt it work? do you have the specs on it?

i was checking out an injector/hp chart that shows 8 30# injectors good for 400hp or so, so im thinking that would be enough. i could bump fuel pressue to get enough for 500hp, but i wouldnt want to raise the pressure past 70 psi(another reason to avoid an fmu) had a guy offer me a used set of 30# injs on another forum, might get them

http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/minj.htm#size

i wouldnt mind running water meth injection. i could actually run way more boost as it effectively raises the octane to about 100 i believe. im just not sure how much would get used and how fast. its easy enough to get though, every gas station around has the blue windshield washer fluid. i just dont want to be filling the tank all the time. you dont have to refill the intercooler lol

Old 03-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Bad96_3.9
All Star

the fan was too thick, it has a big motor on the back of it. i had to get a smaller one and it works fine, keeps it nice and cool.

Trending Topics

Old 03-14-2009, 09:34 AM
408Ram
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bad96_3.9
the fan was too thick, it has a big motor on the back of it. i had to get a smaller one and it works fine, keeps it nice and cool.
Which fan did u get? i am looking.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Blue 12
Professional

Originally Posted by 408Ram
Which fan did u get? i am looking.
me too! thinking about just going to a junk yard and looking under hoods, but i want something that flows a lot

Old 03-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For fans I just got 2 15 inchers from pepboys. There is a small list of fans people used in the FAQ2. I think the most common was the ford taurus fans.

Quick Reply: turbo setup ideas. (plz post yours)