1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

front axle weaknesses???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009 | 07:37 PM
huntindad
|
Default front axle weaknesses???

I have a 95 v-6 ext. cab auto. I got bad stuck the other day when the frost was going out of the groundin the timber. I pulled the truck out backwards with a chain come-a-long back to more solid ground. I left it their overnight for the ground to freeze. The next morning things had froze up some I tried to move and no go. 4x4 quit working further inspection drivers side front wheel froze solid with mud and not turning a buddy pulled me out. Things have thawed out now the truck drives. the transfer case seems to be ok. Does any body know the common week link of the front axle? does my truck have an axle disconnect? Thanks for any help JJ

Old 03-16-2009 | 09:32 PM
huntindad
|

spyder gears are junk along with the axle gears. Anybody know the best place to find replacements? cheap? Thanks JJ

Old 03-16-2009 | 11:12 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Your cheapest bet might be looking in your local junkyards and swapping the whole center section. That way you don't have to mess with setting up the pinion/ring gears or paying a shop to do it.

Quick Reply: front axle weaknesses???