1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Steering gear/pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:56 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering gear/pump replacement

Hey-
So, I'm gonna replace the power steering gear box and pump.
Was pulling the pitman arm, and while adjusting the steering box (so I could get a socket on the pitman arm remover), PS fluid started leaking from the metal part of one of the lines, than since I had a very hard time getting the pitman arm to budge, I just quit. I tried unthreading the line, but the wrench just slipped off. Screw that.

Replacing the gear seems easy enough. I got all 3 bolts holding it to the frame off without any problems.

How hard is it to replace the PS pump? I have to take the pulley off to get the bracket off for the pump -- how hard is that?

Any tips/hints/tricks on any of this?
Thanks guys!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:00 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgerules86
Hey-
So, I'm gonna replace the power steering gear box and pump.
Was pulling the pitman arm, and while adjusting the steering box (so I could get a socket on the pitman arm remover), PS fluid started leaking from the metal part of one of the lines, than since I had a very hard time getting the pitman arm to budge, I just quit. I tried unthreading the line, but the wrench just slipped off. Screw that.
I can't tell you how hard it is to replace the pump cause I've never done one, but I agree that they put the pitman arm in a horrible place. I couldn't get a socket over the remover when I replaced mine, I had to use a wrench and turn it about an 1/8 turn at a time. It sucked!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

To get the pump off of the engine is easy. Then to get the pump off of the bracket you need a pulley puller. You can rent one from auto zone for free. Then installation is easily.

For the pitman arm I just removed 2 bolts from the steering gear then I can twist the entire thing so I can get a better angle on the remover tool.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:33 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, the interference with the cross member is just right that you can't get a socket and ratchet (or breaker bar) on it.
To attempt to remove the pitman arm, I removed the forward two bolts, and loosened the rear-most bolt slightly. This allowed me to tilt the gear upwards enough to allow a socket and breaker bar to get on the pitman arm remover tool.

To take the puller off (after giving up on remove the pitman arm), I installed the forward most bolt, and removed the other two bolts.

It should be noted: at this point I had almost everything removed on my front end (upper control arms, CV joints, steering knuckle, steering center link, and tie-rods are all removed: the ONLY thing I still had installed was the lower control arm), which most likely made my effort a little easier, haha.

My main concern is getting the pulley off to remove the bracket from the PS pump.

That, and I'll be starting on my complete brake system overhaul tomorrow too. I guess I love working on my truck!!

**EDIT** Wow, as I was typing my reply, you responded with exactly the same thing I did, Crazy.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgerules86
Wow, as I was typing my reply, you responded with exactly the same thing I did, Crazy.
LOL Yea! Another Idea for others is get the ratcheting wrenches. I have one and it worked great! But like said above, your limited with the movement you can do.

Quick Reply: Steering gear/pump replacement