1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Would like some input...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Eikooc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like some input...

OK, so I know the basics of what I want to do to my truck, but I'm having trouble deciding on a couple of items. I know that I'm going to be converting my 2wd to a 4x4 and using Dana 60s front and rear (just trying to locate a front for a reasonable price near by). I know the frames for stock 4x2 and 4x4 are different, but with going solid axle in the front it shouldn't really matter. Where I am stuck is a few minor decisions and a few major ones. Minor decisions first:

Tube bed or stock replacement. I like the idea of making my own tube bed. I can have it exactly the way I'd like to see my truck and would have all the storage I'd ever need. But I keep considering the option of the stock replacement since I found a rust free unit at a junkyard with only a couple minor dents for $100. I just don't know how it would hold up after I am finished with the whole truck (i.e.- if I'd have to trim the fenders I see no real point in getting the replacement bed). I'm also going to plate and box the frame while I have the current bed off.

Secondary fuel tank. I'd like to get a tank to go in place of the spare tire carrier. I know that would require wiring up all the sending units and relays, but since I'll be replacing my bed either way I figure it will be easier to accomplish that part of it.

Now for the major decisions. I'm having trouble deciding on engine/tranny combo.
Engine options are Cummins 4BT, Cummins QSB4.5, Magnum 5.2L, Magnum 5.9L, and 4.0HO.
The Magnum 5.2 and the 4.0HO are at the same junkyard as the stock bed. If I go with the 4.0 I'd take the AW4 and NP231 with it out of the Cherokee it is in atm. The 5.2 magnum is in a 93 ext cab dakota, but I'd drop the tranny that's attached in favor of a NV4500. Basically any of the engines, with the exception of the 4.0, is gonna get a NV4500 with a NP205 t-case.

I used to have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee with the same 4.0/AW4/NP231 combo so I know basically how they perform. Just not in a truck.

Sorry I rambled a little. A little insight as to which you guys would prefer and why might help me out in my decision. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow you got alot of plans. Well I would say stick with style bed. It's only $100. For right now put the money into the drivetrain. When you get it running perfectly then build the bed. You don't want to overload your self in the beginning. I would say the Cummins engines are sweet, but way to heavy (from my understanding of there weight). For me I love the V8's, the bigger the better. Ya now days gas mileage is what you need. So the 4.0 should be good for that, but defiantly as much power as the V8's and bigger axles and more weight you need more POWER.

As far as the gas tank, why do you want to move it? But if you do, you just have to extend the wires out a few feet. Very simple.

You didn't mention what size tires you want to put on. The way your talking about cutting the fender makes me think your going to put some big ones on.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:37 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
As far as the gas tank, why do you want to move it? But if you do, you just have to extend the wires out a few feet. Very simple.
I think he ways saying he wants a second tank, not move the first.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 4.0L an inline 6? Will it fit under our hoods length wise?

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 04-23-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Bump
Veteran

Dont know what you mean by a "Tube bed" but For the $$ I would just go with the stock bed and put some cool "tube" rails on it or something.

What are you trying to make the truck into? You ranged from some seruios pulling motors to a 6 cyl. Daily driver or do you plan on pulling a house with it?
IMO the 5.2 has plenty of power ( I am putting another one in mine as we speak) but the 5.9 would be sweet but good luck finding one. haha

for the secondary tank... I would only do it if you plan on pulling or traveling long distances. But If you did go that route, I would put the second one in and then connect the two together with a large diameter tube thus doubling the size of one tank and not having to mess with a second pump and all that crap.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh okay I reread that sentence now. (About the gas tank) But unless your driving long distances that 2nd one is unnecessary. More weight means less power to the ground.

Ya the 4.0 is the Jeep inline 6. It would defiantly fit. The jeeps have a hard time fitting in a V8 (Length and width). So that would mean the 4.0 is shorter. Plus there hoods are way smaller then ours I have one here at work I could measure just to make sure.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Eikooc

A tube bed is one I would build myself. Like a flat bed, but I'd have sides on it and a tail gate. Also have built-in toolboxes and storage areas.

As far as serious motors, don't underestimate the 4.0. They're stout little engines. With 3.55 gears in the D35C that was in my Cherokee I could flat leave almost anything from a rolling 15mph start. Left a couple of 350s off the line too.

Not looking to pull a house.... well, not in one piece anyway. Biggest things I'd tow would be a camper or boat (both of which I'll be starting after I finish building the truck.

And that's a good idea about connecting the two tanks with a large bore tube. I might think more about that.

Oh yeah, about the tires... it all depends on which engine/tranny combo goes in. If it is one of the diesels I'm going to go 35s. If it is one of the others it will probably be 33s.

Last edited by Eikooc; 04-23-2009 at 11:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Would like some input...