1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

91 2.5 dakota no spark, please look

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Nashport_native
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 2.5 dakota no spark, please look

Ok, I have pulled apart the harness under the washer fluid bottle and under the fuse/relay box and checked all the wires, replaced the coil, hail effect sensor, ecm, wires, rotor button, cap, wires and still no spark, I have checked the power to the coil while cranking and the one green wire stays hot all the time, no pulsing, nothing from the black with white stripe wire. the injector is pulsing, so I know the ecm is getting the signel from the hail effect sensor. can anyone tell me where in the ecm plug the two wires for the coil are so I can try running new ones? loosing my mind on this stupid little truck, please help.

Last edited by Nashport_native; 05-27-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the FAQ for online manuals that have wireing diagrams. There is a splice that is a common problem. Check the FAQ for that write up.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:13 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nashport_native
an anyone tell me where in the ecm plug the two wires for the coil are so I can try running new ones?
Looks like pin 19 is the positive output. It will be a black/gray wire.
You should be able to just run a brand new ground. Looks like the computer only had a positive output for the coil.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:55 AM
swampbug1979

Im sure not everyone is as slow on the pick up as I am, but I had a similar issue. Turn over, no start, no spark. so I replaced all the start up stuff, coil, cap/rotor, wires, plugs...still nothing..someone suggested a shear pin on the crank shaft may have broke...long story short on the way to the crank shaft I found about 20 teeth missing off my timing belt....anyway, just thought I would list that as an option.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 PM
bigboytheonly

same problem with my 95. little wires smaller then speaker wire under distribution center.had to take my wiring harness apart to find it. connection felt good but wasn't. wire is a ground of the same color

Old 05-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Nashport_native
Default She is running!!!!

My problem ended up being the ground wire from the dist. to the computer. I had feeling that is what it was since it had fuel and the cam timing was right. we had just put a clutch in it about 100 miles befor it stoped running, so we must have pinched the wire putting the trans back on since the wires run right with the belhousing.

but on the bright side, my brother replaced the clutch, fuel pump, wires,cap,plugs, and hall effect sensor before selling it to me for 135 bucks. All for me to find out it was a simple wire problem.

Quick Reply: 91 2.5 dakota no spark, please look