1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Type of oil used and recomended

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:26 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil is one topic guaranteed to get lots of opinions! So, I'll throw in mine.

Dodge recommended 10w-30 for these motors and you can be sure they knew what was best at the time. Of course, oils, and engines, have gotten much more sophisticated since the 90's. The variables that affect what oil you should use are many. Things like zinc, ash content, base, and the requirements of individual engines and their emissions requirements, are all taken into account now. Despite the temptation to introduce new tech oil products and additives, I suggest you're probably better off to stick with factory recommendations, especially in regard to weight/viscosity. Keep this in mind: 90% of the wear in a properly maintained engine occurs at startup, before the oil is pumped up into the top end. High viscosity additives, like Lucas oil, will "bridge" the gaps in a worn engine and reduce oil usage, but it also slows the speed at which oil is delivered to the bearings and wear surfaces when the engine is started; the time when lubrication is most critical.

Synthetic oils have had advantages over conventional oils for years, such as better flow at cold start, but the gap has closed as conventional oils are often blends now. Synthetic oil also has the ability to suspend more particulates (the dirty by-products of combustion) that cause wear, which is why synthetic oils have longer change intervals. But if you change your oil often, you're probably throwing money away using a synthetic oil, as conventional oils work just as well if they aren't left in too long.

I use Valvoline 10w-30 blend in my 5.2 Magnum, and change it regularly. The motor has about 90k on it, so its still a baby! My brother and I were both AMSOIL dealers for a time, and that gave me the opportunity to learn a bit about motor oils.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:03 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: Type of oil used and recomended