1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

"Why are you fixing that old truck?"

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:37 AM
murdered93'kota
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

because it looks good, i can run side by side w/ a mustang(and walk one at highway speeds) and its still a pickup, i dont like cars(i hate driving my girlfriends gran-am) and i can stil get from point a to b but just in my own fashion, and also mainly the amount of $$$$ i have into this dak of mine it just wouldnt make ane sense at all to get rid of just maybe drive something else for a little while but im keepin my dak

Old 05-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Bump
Veteran

Originally Posted by murdered93'kota
because it looks good, i can run side by side w/ a mustang(and walk one at highway speeds) and its still a pickup, i dont like cars(i hate driving my girlfriends gran-am) and i can stil get from point a to b but just in my own fashion, and also mainly the amount of $$$$ i have into this dak of mine it just wouldnt make ane sense at all to get rid of just maybe drive something else for a little while but im keepin my dak
I am far from a ford guy, but I work with one who has a mustang...

I'd be interested in seeing your truck.... or the mustang you speak of

just giving you crap man.... transfer cases and Truck beds for life!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:32 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I do have a lot of money in my truck. more time though I think. Still, I think it is cheaper than a new truck. I had to drive a Colorado for work, I can't tell you how many plastic parts were on it, and I broke most of them.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Bump
Veteran

For sure! I also have an 02 durango. Last summer I drove an 06 Durango on a trip and same thing, more cheap (looking and feeling) plastic and their design is getting uglier every year. My 02 is 50 times better quality and looking!

My dad has been a dodge guy since before my time. He had an 06 ram 2500 for less than a year before he dumped it and got a tundra. I have to say that tundra is arms and legs over that ram. The ram struggled with a 26' enclosed trailer, rode rougher than hell, and looked and felt cheap.

Not trying to bust on Dodge, cuz I still am a dodge guy (owned a talon(close enough ), neon, 2 dakotas, and a durango) but I am slowly loosing confidence. BTW, we just lost out dodge dealer ship here a couple weeks ago.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:32 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The bodies of the newer trucks I have driven seem to be made of thinner sheet metal. Maybe it is my imagination. Definately more plastic. I love the first gen Dakotas though, still feels like I am driving something tough enough to handle some abuse.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:50 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

Originally Posted by bump187
I often ask my self that same question...

Usually right after I bust open my knuckel and am bleeding profusely all over my dodge shirt.
I then continue to cuss and rant, until the bleeding stops.

I then ask my self....
Why, self?
Why do I **** around with this goddam truck? Its not worth anything anyway!

And I usually answer...
Well, dumbass, its because you have no money right now and cant afford anything else.

Then I ask...
Ok, self, Where does all my money go?...

...I look around and see my wife closing the window in the kitchen and shaking her head at me for arguing with my self whilst im bleeding on the picnic table.

I then ask my self....

Self? How the hell did I get here?
Holy crap are you like my twin in another state? I have that exact conversation with myself every single time I open my wallet to pay for parts. With the exception of the wife having a nicer truck. She doesn't like my truck, says I spend too much time with her...err um...I mean it.

Quick Reply: "Why are you fixing that old truck?"