1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

External clutch Slave Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:55 PM
bigtom12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External clutch Slave Cylinder

We just replaced the Clutch master and slave cylinder for my son's 1995 Dakota. There is not a bleeder screw so how do we bleed the line. We have pumped the crap out of it and still nothing. It will not engage but if we put it in 1 gear and turn on the truck, the truck will pull itself. So does anyone have an idea how to bleed the stupid thing

Old 06-03-2009, 10:56 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The clutch hydraulic system is an "unservicable assembly" that should have come assembled with the fluid already in it. If you just replaced it with a new one, it should have been a bolt in a go process. They are not supposed to be bleedable, but you can bleed them off the truck. (and I'm not knocking you, so don't take this the wrong way, when I did the auto to manual swap in my truck I took apart the hydraulic system and had to bleed it)

You will need a can of brake fluid, a 1-2 foot long rubber hose, the slave cylinder and the hydraulic line that connects it to the master cylinder. Attach the slave cylinder to its end of the hydraulic line. Then attach the rubber hose to the master cylinder end of the hydraulic line. Put the other end of the rubber hose in the bottle of brake fluid. With the bottle of brake fluid as the lowest point in the setup, pump the slave cylinder until the air bubbles stop coming out. Next, pour brake fluid in the resvior, so it pours out the open end of the master cylinder, and very quickly attach the hydraulic line to the master cylinder. Next, double check to make sure the resevoir is full, and pump the slave cylinder a couple more time until you stop seeing bubbles come up out of the resevior (cause when you reattach the hydraulic line to the master cylinder, there will be a little bit of air left in system). Then bolt the slave cylinder back up and call it a done.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:31 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am saving that, I might need this in the future.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:39 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dbilik
]I am saving that, I might need this in the future.
Lol, I hope my description makes sense without picture! It's just simple physics.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:50 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a slave and master cylinder at home that need to be bled, or I think they will, the reservoir is empty so I am guessing it is good practice. I will take pictures when I do.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:52 PM
dane25
Rookie

thanks for the share 95 318SLT....

Old 11-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Spire
Amateur

A little late but I just found this video along with this thread. I'm about to replace both my master and slave clutch cylinders. It looks as though it can be bled while on the vehicle.

Quick Reply: External clutch Slave Cylinder