1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:13 PM
skyshark186
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad is it?

Ok...so I started working on my "parts" truck today. Got it all put back together, and all be darned if it doesnt drive.

Wel.......I cant really say that yet. It goes in gear and moves. I sorta ran it out of gas. It was idling while I put the driveshaft back on and aparently had very very little gas.

Ohh well....project for tomorrow.

So heres my dillema. I hate 2wd. Personally they are useless. BUT....this truck is in a lot better shape than mine. The body is nicer, the interior is nicer, the gas gauge works, the ignition works(mine is push button).

I plan on keeping one and probably selling the other. My green one still needs a tcase but I did track all the parts I need down.

So would I be better of swapping my body for the other, or the bottom end parts across? Ie front axle, transmission/tcase ect.

If I swapped bodies would the 2wd wiring harness have everything I need for the 4wd? I assume the harness goes with the body(never pulled a body off anything before). Is this a whole mess of trouble for not enough gain?

Thanks for any ideas/opinions.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:26 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't swap drivetrain parts. The 2wd and 4x4 frame are different, so that basically leaves you with the option of swapping bodies. As for the harnesses, it depends on if the engines are the same. The only thing you may have to move over is the harnesses that go into the transfer case, but since it is never attached to the body, it may not be a problem.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 06-14-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:23 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the factory service manuals and you can see the frames drawn out. Like 95_318SLT said, different suspension wise and frame wise. It is a lot of work so I would say it depends on how much better the body is. You can always swap interior parts.

As far as the gas gauge, chances are it is the sending unit in the fuel pump. You could swap fuel pumps. I recommend taking the bed off and going at it from the top rather than taking the tank down.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have done a 4wd swap on my truck. It was worth it for me. The post is located in the FAQ2. https://dodgeforum.com/m_961445/tm.htm

Old 06-15-2009, 11:56 AM
skyshark186
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went and drove the 2wd this morning, and I think its too much work for not enough gain. Both trucks are above anything I would worry about being seen driving.

I do kinda enjoy that I just got a running driving truck for free basically. Well.......60 bucks in gas or so to go get it and drag it home and 20 bucks worth of tranny fluid. A/C even blows cold.

I think Ill take the small parts I need from this and swap my less good looking parts(tail lights, small interior parts,ect.) and Ill steal the fuel sender/pump and swap it with my non working fuel sender assembly.

Then Ill sell this one and use the profits towards building mine. In my area I shouldnt have any problem getting 2500-3000 for it as is, once I get the title of course.