1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Headlights out.....again...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:13 PM
pashadowops
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights out.....again... (RESOLVED)

My headlights went out yesterday morning on the way to work. When I got there I checked all the fuses and they were fine. I thought perhaps it was coincidence that both bulbs went out at the same time. When I got home yesterday I checked the bulbs and they were good. I checked to see if the high beams were also out and what I found was that when I click the high-beam switch the headlights flash once then go out. I did this several times with the same result. My parking lights and blinkers work fine as do all of my taillights. I've checked all the wires on the headlight switch and they all seem to be in good shape. Is it possible that the headlight switch is bad again? Is there another splice I should be looking at? I am downloading the service manual for the 95 dak to check out the wiring diagrams however, if someone has a quick answer that would be greatly appreciated.

It turned out to be the headlight switch. While the wires all checked out good to the switch it wasn't until I checked the multifunction switch (per Dodgerules) whiched tested good, that I decided to pull the pigtail off the headlight switch all-together. It was then that I noticed one of the center contacts was burnt. I replaced the switch and said "let there be light" and it was good. Thanks for all your suggestions. One of these days I will put in some relays cause these switches are getting a little steep...$17 after tax.

Last edited by pashadowops; 07-03-2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Issue Resolved
Old 07-01-2009, 05:22 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be a bad multi-function switch (the stalk you use to turn on/off the brights: the electricity flows thru the headlight switch to the multi-function switch even for the low beams). A contact could be bad in the multi-function.
Of course, it could totally not be the multi-function switch too!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:44 PM
gambler12
Amateur
Default Headlights out

I just had to replace my headlight switch also. Had parking lights but no headlights but if I held my high beam switch on I had the headlights until I released the high beam switch.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:25 PM
94 mark3
Professional

mine randomly turn off also. all i do is dim the dash lights and turn the headlights off then on again then they work.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:57 AM
car99r

My headlights in the 99 Ram go off and on when I move my tilt steering up and down. Of course they are out in normal driving range but if I put it high they come on and work just fine. The high beams work all the time...

Think switch or maybe loose wire? Is this an easy task?

Quick Reply: Headlights out.....again...