1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:22 AM
mpburris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Problem

I'm trying to decide what direction to go next. This 95 Dodge Dakota, 5.2 ltr 318... started having a issue a couple weeks ago, ironically, after filling up with gas. Didn't want to run, missing, acceloration... it would bog down. Started with thinking possible "bad gas"..., put fuel system cleaner thru it..., finally got enough gas run out to put new gas in it..., truck has no consistency in this issue. Has run a couple days, no problem... then next day, won't even crank, next day crank up... run badly. Have ck'd all vacuum lines, replaced 02 sensor, had fuel tank out, fuel pump out.., ck'd vacuum lines back at tank... have put back together.. will crank the first time, run a couple blocks, seem okay... then put gas to the accelerator and have it bog down, and backfire a little bit..., run smooth at idle. Then not crank again..., the crank a while later, run a couple blocks no trouble, then a couple more and start running rough again. Everything I read says it's the "fuel pressure", and/or fuel pump.., but not sure if to just go ahead and spend $155 (money's hard to come by), to replace the fuel pump.., not knowing if this could even be an electronic issue, or other sensors.?? Kinda bad when you know "some" about it..., but not ALL.. and can't afford to just haul it to a shop for an undetermined amount of money. Any suggestions appreciated.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the computer trubble codes like described in the other thread. See what you come up with. You can get a guage to hook up to the fuel line to see if you are getting the correct amount of fuel pressure.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:31 AM
mpburris
Default Fuel problem....

Thank you, but therein... lies the problem, as the truck is NOT flashing any dash trouble codes, and we have not decided yet, whether or not to have it "diagnosed" on a shop computer. That's what we are trying to decide now, as we've been told on this year model, that if we are not getting any code off the dash.., the diagnostic machine also, may NOT give us any codes. Thank you for your input.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:59 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Using the ignition should give you the same codes you would pull by plugging in, it is actually listed in the factory service manual as a method to pull codes. If you aren't getting codes that way any scanning tool you use shouldn't pull codes either. You should at least be getting code 55 no matter what.

I'd say check your wiring. Especially the splices. As far as the backfiring may be a seperate or unrelated issue.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:54 AM
mpburris

Well, from what I understand, the computer they use, is not like the "scanner", for instance that auto parts use, when your ck eng lite comes on. However; I'm not sure what this computer tells them. It does not have any codes flashed, except the 12 (because we'd had the battery disconnected), and of course the 55 - end of codes. Only in the last day, reading the forums, did I realize that the diagnostic's would not give you info on the fuel system, as posted here. At any rate, we did find a reputable shop that said "they WOULD find the problem".., so we can just only hope, as we are out of options. As for the driveability.., well, been nothing really consistent; however, it's been cranking recently, but runs really rough, putting foot on the gas.., it seems to bog down, not really have power. But, there was a day of driving here and there, that the truck did not show that many signs of running that badly. It's had new plugs, new 02 sensor, new vacuum lines..., and we've ck'd as much of the wiring as "we know". We did have a breakdown in the Power Distribution center (supposedly a "known" issue), 3 yrs ago, truck turning over, would NOT crank. My son's Army training.., tested and realized there was NO power back AT the fuel pump, and found that there was NO power going from the PDC, to the PCM..., and instead of trying to find the "breakdown", he just ran a new line from the battery to the pcm, and it worked perfect, cranked, and never had a problem in 3 yrs..., til now, and that splice is still good, as we tested it to make sure. Anyways.., we're hopefuly this guy CAN find the problem, so we'll see.., and absolutely appreciate all the info on here!

Old 07-07-2009, 06:59 PM
94 mark3
Professional

good luck. i hate electrical problems

Old 07-07-2009, 07:39 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

Originally Posted by mpburris
It's had new plugs, new 02 sensor, new vacuum lines..., and we've ck'd as much of the wiring as "we know".
Have you replaced the spark plug wires. I did a tune up on mine last year and didn't replace the wires thinking they looked fine. The truck still ran rough and sputtered on acceleration. It turned out to be bad wires. I noticed that they were arching (it was dark out when I finished the tune-up). I replaced the wires and the truck ran great. When you do the wires make sure that all the wires are in the proper wire looms. I recently did the plugs again and unknowingly knocked the coil wire off its wire loom and it burned on the exhaust manifold leaving me stranded 45 mins away from home on a holiday weekend. Not fun when you have to be to work the next day...

Old 07-08-2009, 11:29 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mpburris
Well, from what I understand, the computer they use, is not like the "scanner", for instance that auto parts use, when your ck eng lite comes on. However; I'm not sure what this computer tells them. It does not have any codes flashed, except the 12 (because we'd had the battery disconnected), and of course the 55 - end of codes. Only in the last day, reading the forums, did I realize that the diagnostic's would not give you info on the fuel system, as posted here. At any rate, we did find a reputable shop that said "they WOULD find the problem".., so we can just only hope, as we are out of options. As for the driveability.., well, been nothing really consistent; however, it's been cranking recently, but runs really rough, putting foot on the gas.., it seems to bog down, not really have power. But, there was a day of driving here and there, that the truck did not show that many signs of running that badly. It's had new plugs, new 02 sensor, new vacuum lines..., and we've ck'd as much of the wiring as "we know". We did have a breakdown in the Power Distribution center (supposedly a "known" issue), 3 yrs ago, truck turning over, would NOT crank. My son's Army training.., tested and realized there was NO power back AT the fuel pump, and found that there was NO power going from the PDC, to the PCM..., and instead of trying to find the "breakdown", he just ran a new line from the battery to the pcm, and it worked perfect, cranked, and never had a problem in 3 yrs..., til now, and that splice is still good, as we tested it to make sure. Anyways.., we're hopefuly this guy CAN find the problem, so we'll see.., and absolutely appreciate all the info on here!
if you find out what the problem is, post it here cuz i have a buddy with a '97 ram thats doing somewhat the same thing. except, his is spewing out black smoke, white smoke, blue smoke, overheating. they changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and even the computer and its still doing it...

Old 07-29-2009, 02:28 PM
mpburris
Default Fuel Problem on 1995 Dodge Dakota

Well, guys... wanted to go ahead and post this.., as we were wrong in thinking the fuel pump was okay..., as it was NOT! It turned out the fuel pressure was really bad, and we had the fuel pump replaced, and now the truck is just fine!! Just as simple as that!! Did not really understand, that the fuel pump could have been messing up... for some time, not putting out the right pressure..., and so made the mistake of jumping to other conclusions.., when indeed it WAS the fuel pump! Thanks for all the help!! Michael

Quick Reply: Fuel Problem