1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

just outta curiosity

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default just outta curiosity

i havent checked my codes for a while, so i decided to go and check them. nothing new.. still the EGR, however, everytime i check for codes, code 12 comes up. i know its the battery code and its normal, but is it normal if you havent had the battery disconnected in over 3 months and started the truck at least 3 times a day in that time? could that be a sign that the slice is starting to act up? the previous owner and i have never had an issue with this splice... yet. and there was only 1 owner before that, that had only put on 2500 KMs and then traded the truck in.

im not too worried, cuz the truck, aside from a going starter, starts everytime i turn the key, whether it be -50 and not plugged in, or +50 and not in a cool spot, she still starts

Old 07-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No I wouldn't worry about the code 12. I have not disconnected my battery for maybe 6 months and I still got it. It mostly is there to designate the beginning of the codes. Just like 55 is the end.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:44 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
No I wouldn't worry about the code 12. I have not disconnected my battery for maybe 6 months and I still got it. It mostly is there to designate the beginning of the codes. Just like 55 is the end.
makes sense, thanx!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:14 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, like Crazy said, no worries.
I'm convinced you could have a battery hooked up and run the engine through 50,000 full open-to-closed loop cycles, and it would still throw that code. The other 3 Chrysler OBDI vehicles I've pulled codes from do the same thing. (As does my OBDII Dakota)

Quick Reply: just outta curiosity