1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:27 AM
jayman_1975
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical issue

Hey everyone.... i recently bought a 92 Dakota 5.2 4*4 for work and have run into a problem. The other day it died on me coughed a few times and then dead. I have no spark. Please bear with me as i don't know all the lingo here.

I have changed the pickup and the ignition switch..... tested the coil and found it to be good. However there is no power to the lead going into the bottom of the coil. ( i assume this is a signal wire to tell the coil to make spark) I talked with a garage that specializes in rebuilding computers and adding custom tunes during the rebuild. They told me to jumper 2 pins where the Auto Shut Down relay goes in the power distribution box.... then check for power at the coil. If this "jumpering" creates power at the coil... but no power present with the ASD relay in place.... then the relay is hooched... or the computer.

I tried a different relay in place of the ASD relay with no luck. I bought a used computer off the internet and installed it. Wouldn't you know it.... nothin. I checked for power on the bottom side of the coil again... it only powers up briefly with the key and then goes out. If anyone has an idea or two i'm all ears. I am ready to pull my hair out here. Is there any chance that i got another dud computer?

Old 07-11-2009, 12:37 AM
skyshark186
Captain
Old 07-11-2009, 07:50 AM
jayman_1975

Thanx for the link. I will dig do some digging around after work to see if that is my problem. Only thing is... and i forgot to mention is i could have sworn it threw a code 54. it gave 3 codes actually... 12, 54, then 55. My book says nothing about a code 54. Anyways... i will be checking the wiring harnesses tonight after work.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:31 PM
skyshark186
Captain
Old 07-14-2009, 12:09 AM
jayman_1975

Hi. Just an update on this issue. I checked the harness under the ASD relay and found everything there to be ok. I checked the continuity on the wires as instructed per the link i was given in a reply. Everything was good.

The code 54 i got meant "no cam signal to PCM. I found out that the cam sensor in my truck is what i called the "pick up" and i had already changed that. I found some info on testing the "cam sensor" wires and checked continuity on the signal wire from the sensor to the PCM as well as the power wire from the sensor to the PCM. Both were good. I checked for voltage on the power wire and found nothing. Voltage should have been present on wire 7 on the PCM harness... again... nothing. If i had not already replaced the computer...would have guessed it was shot. At this point i was pulling my hair out.

I unhooked the computer and put it back in.... then decided to check for a bad ground. I wiggled the wires around on the firewall and behind the motor all the way back to the PCM. Turned the key and away she went. So basically...unhooking and rehooking the computer up...or.... wiggling every wire under the hook... fixed the problem.

I let it run and tried wiggling all the wires again to try and make it quit running... i'll be dammed if i could get it to stall. I have driven it for 2 days now and it is purring like a kitten. BUT... i can't trust it now. Anyways.... thanks for the replies i got here... I wish i had come here before i sunk $250 worth of unneeded parts into it only to discover it was a wiring issue. I'll be living on this site as long as i own this truck i'm sure.

Quick Reply: electrical issue