1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need Opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:58 AM
grswat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That kinda all depends on what you what goes on in your area and what you and your friends do for fun. If ur friends are off roaders I'd stick with the 4x4. If they are drag strippers then race truck it up.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 AM
94 mark3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally, i'd build a track truck since you already have a offroad/DD truck.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:07 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

YOu already know my answer. Drop the 408 in the 2WD. With the improved suspension you will be able to take full advantage of it. You probably have enough power in the V8 for now, and you could always put a 360 in it for cheap.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:10 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to hijack your thread 95_318SLT, but i need an opinion too, and i figured that this was just easier...

so as the regulars know, im building a 390 stroker for my dak. heres where i stand... im thinking, why not make my v6 a little more powerful and just keep it in my '93. ill look for a '96 dak so that i can use the functionality of the OBDII for the 390. but what im thinking that im gunna do, is by a brand new body for the truck, minus the cab, and basically build the truck from the ground up. it might be the more expensive route, but i think the better route in the end.. what do you guys think?

if i went the '96 way, i'd look for a 4x4 so that i didnt have to do any cutting into the cab (unless i decide to go with a manual tranny as opposed to an auto), buy a new frame, and new anything from the frame up (again, minus the cab). if i go with an auto tranny, i will likely bolt up a 727 to ensure it can handle the power. but if i go manual, im not sure which tranny to go with.

i dont know what to do! there are too many options for what i wanna do. im liking my v6 more and more everyday, thats why im thinking of keeping my '93 the way it is. i would use the v6 for a dd, and the 390 will be my toy. i dont know what to do tho...

again... what do you guys think??

Old 07-26-2009, 02:19 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, threads all yours 3.9l93dakota, I got the opinions I need... 2wd project it is.

Going OBDII is not a bad idea since there are more programming options for them, but if I were you I'd make sure the '96 OBDII system has the aftermarket your looking for, since it was the only year of that particular setup. I'm sticking with OBDI for the lack of emissions inspection on OBDI in my area, and I do enough regular maintenance on my truck to know if something is wrong with it.... I don't need a computer with all those sensors to tell me.

For the manual, I would suggest going with an NV4500. Its the easiest route. Another route would be go with a Tremec T-56 6 speed and divorced transfer case, but that requires some serious fabricating.

Other than that, sounds a little like my project!! So all I can say is save money, make time, and have fun :P

Old 07-26-2009, 02:41 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Lol, threads all yours 3.9l93dakota, I got the opinions I need... 2wd project it is.

Going OBDII is not a bad idea since there are more programming options for them, but if I were you I'd make sure the '96 OBDII system has the aftermarket your looking for, since it was the only year of that particular setup. I'm sticking with OBDI for the lack of emissions inspection on OBDI in my area, and I do enough regular maintenance on my truck to know if something is wrong with it.... I don't need a computer with all those sensors to tell me.

For the manual, I would suggest going with an NV4500. Its the easiest route. Another route would be go with a Tremec T-56 6 speed and divorced transfer case, but that requires some serious fabricating.

Other than that, sounds a little like my project!! So all I can say is save money, make time, and have fun :P
you just made my night! some kids tried to kill it by telling me to slow the f**k down when i wasnt even speeding (yet..). i almost got out and punched their teeth out, but instead, i floored my truck around the corner. stupid kids! i always showed respect to my "elders", whats with kids nowadays?

i dont have inspections here, only saftey inspections when the vehicle is insured by a new owner. and i dont want the OBDII for the computer being idiot proof, i want it more for those hand help tuners so that i can fine tune that 390. basically, OBDII wise, im only looking for a MP perf comp... nothing else im really gunna need to do to the engine.. aside from the tuner. most of my upgrades are gunna be in the brakes and the diff and the suspension.

Quick Reply: Need Opinions...