1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Lift Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:25 AM
dakota33
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Question

Hey, some of you might know already, but i got a 95 dakota, lifted 2" body, 2" lift blocks, and torsion keys up front.. this clears 33" no problem.. I could probably stuff a 35" tire in there.. but want a little more clearance for when the truck is flexing and stuff.. Im just wondering.. what can I do to acheive another 2"?.. for the rear if I add a leaf? how much will that take me.. and to get a better understanding, I seen people change the rear shackles on the rear?.. what exactly do you need to do to this, lower or raise.. I dont understand, pics would be amazing!.. and also, most importantly, I need help on getting another couple inches on the front as well, as I have no ideas for that? thanks!

Old 07-30-2009, 11:44 AM
skyshark186
Captain

For the shackle thing search it. I did a write up on it with full pictures. Gained exactly 2 inches.

For the front your kinda SOL. You could pull your sway bar and gain a little. Maybe 1/2". You could put on a 3" body lift instead, or build your own. Personally I wouldnt put anything solid where my body mounts are. They are made to flex and "bend" for a reason. I know people have done it, but if something needs to break in that situation its gonna be bad.

Or you could do a solid axle swap. If you wait a couple months Ill have a write up on that too.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:47 AM
dakota33
Professional

Originally Posted by sksyhark186
For the shackle thing search it. I did a write up on it with full pictures. Gained exactly 2 inches.

For the front your kinda SOL. You could pull your sway bar and gain a little. Maybe 1/2". You could put on a 3" body lift instead, or build your own. Personally I wouldnt put anything solid where my body mounts are. They are made to flex and "bend" for a reason. I know people have done it, but if something needs to break in that situation its gonna be bad.

Or you could do a solid axle swap. If you wait a couple months Ill have a write up on that too.
yes, I saw where you did the shackle thing.. still dont fully understand what you did though., and I looked everywhere.. no 3" body lifts for these trucks anymore.
as in the solid axle swap? I would love to follow that thread.. just wondering.. what kind of truck are you taking it out, and which will fit?

Old 07-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For the front there is nothing easy you can do. The next step for you up front is to buy or build a suspension kit. To lower the control arms and the front diff. and the rest of that system.

For the rear tons. You can do a shackle flip. Add a leafs. Cheater blocks. Air bags. Air shocks. Check the FAQ2 for the full list with details.

Ya I got plenty of room for the 35's, too but I'm more worried about the strength of the front axle with those bigger tires. Someone has put on 38's and they are holding so I guess it will be okay.

Yes you can do a Soild axle swap. Check the FAQ2 again.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 07-30-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:54 AM
dakota33
Professional

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
For the front there is nothing easy you can do. The next step for you up front is to buy or build a suspension kit. To lower the control arms and the front diff. and the rest of that system.

For the rear tons. You can do a shackle flip. Add a leafs. Cheater blocks. Air bags. Air shocks. Check the FAQ2 for the full list with details.

Ya I got plenty of room for the 35's, too but I'm more worried about the strength of the front axle with those bigger tires. Someone has put on 38's and they are holding so I guess it will be okay.
thanks for the help, I know if you go with the only full suspension kit for our trucks, the 4" it comes with lift blocks.. so since I got that, all I think I would want is the part to lower control arms/front diff/torsion bars. Does anyone know.. could you buy just this?.. or does anyone possibly have any.. or willing to build this?..
I seen a red dakota, wills ingris or something i forget the guys name, but his front part to lower torsion bars was not strong enough, and he built one.. I wonder , could anyone possibly do this?

Old 07-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

No you can not buy it separately. The block kits are only $30. So if you buy the kit you only loose out on $30. Or just sell it on ebay or craigslist. Ya you could build your own. But all the time and money you put in you may as well do a solid axle swap which will be stronger for the 35's. Here is the guys site you are talking about. http://www.walt-n-ingrid.com/modifications.html

Old 07-30-2009, 12:36 PM
dakota33
Professional

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
No you can not buy it separately. The block kits are only $30. So if you buy the kit you only loose out on $30. Or just sell it on ebay or craigslist. Ya you could build your own. But all the time and money you put in you may as well do a solid axle swap which will be stronger for the 35's. Here is the guys site you are talking about. http://www.walt-n-ingrid.com/modifications.html
thanks for the helpp.. i think I may just save for the 4" suspension then.. because I cant afford the straight axle, lookin at the prices ppl spent to swap that over. my truck is a v6, if I went with v8 torsion bars.. would this help any? I heard it would.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Yes it can but there is a limit the control arms can take. So you may be maxing out what the control arms can go.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:08 PM
skyshark186
Captain

Most of doing swaps is fabricating ability. If you cant do it yourself, expect to be broke by the process. No one that does that stuff professionally does it cheap, and if they did you wouldnt want it done by them.

Ive gathered a small list of what Ill need, and I dont anticipate spending more than 500 on my sas. That includes my axle, which I have yet to choose. Of course, things change, and things dont go to plan. So I may end up more into it than that.

Crazy. I realize it seems sort of intimidating, but look at it this way. Going from a true 33 to a true 35 is really only 1 inch extra. 1 inch above and below(I know you understand this but posting for the benefit of others). So really you put more stress going from a 28-29 that it originally had to a 31-33. I dont think the extra would hurt it. Well....no more than a 33 anyway. I plan to run 35-36 inch tires. I may well break my front axle, but I dont see any reason it should do it from normal use. Im sure I will damage something when Im smashing through the canyons. Here is a thread that my interest some of you. This guy is local, I sold him my doors off my parts truck so he can make trail doors.

http://www.pioneer4wheelers.org/foru...ead.php?t=3433

Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 PM
dakotaboy454
Rookie

i to looked into a solid axle conversion but quickly turned the othier way.after asking around at some 4x4 places that di this kind of thing they all said it would cost around 3000 with out adding in the cost of paying for the shop time.

the cost of the axle(which apperantly comes from a ford)
then the cost of getting it geared to match your rear axle
you also have to change the streerin arm up a little the mounting the shackles for the leaf springs

im sure there is more i will be very interested in your right up though.

i wouldnt see y a older dodge axle wouldnt work though i have seen mainy older dodges with the transfer case running the front 4x4 shaft down the driver side so idk like i say i will be very interested into your findings as i have only looked alittle into it.

Quick Reply: Lift Question