1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Headlight Clean up

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:03 PM
pashadowops
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Clean up

Well, here it is, the before and after of a headlight clean-up with the 3M cleaning kit. Needless to say I was a bit disappointed. It looks a little better but, just not what I was hoping for. You can judge for yourself if you want to clean your headlights or what I will most likely do after inspection, replace them. The top is the before and the bottom of-course the after.

Attached Thumbnails Headlight Clean up-headlightclnup.jpg  
Old 08-03-2009, 02:09 PM
skyshark186
Captain

You can do better with 10 minutes and .10 cents. Heres how.

Take a rag with some decently deep loops or grooves. Get a box of baking soda. Take a small container and mix a small amount of baking soda and water until you have a relatively thick paste. Take dime size amounts of paste and buff the front of your headlight. Wash it off, repeat.

Sounds dumb, but it works just as good if not better as the stuff you buy for 20 bucks. It takes some time, but its worth it. I did it to all 4 of my headlights(keeping the 2 from my parts truck for spares) and have really liked the results. Still not new, but much better.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:01 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

I hate to admit it but, even though the headlights didn't look all that different after I cleaned them yesterday afternoon, last night when I turned on the lights I was flashed at least twice from people thinking I had my brights on. I couldn't believe the difference at night. It was literally night and day. I plan on hitting the lenses again this weekend to see if I can get them a little clearer as long as I have some of the paste left. I will try the baking soda though on my tracer cause those headlights are pretty bad too.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:45 PM
ZackN920
Record Breaker

Even though my headlights are all glass when we had the 93 plymouth Grand Voyager we used toothpaste and that seemed to clear it up even though those were yellow and fogged over but they looked much better afterwords from what i remember, just another remedy for cleaning some of the older plastic headlights

Quick Reply: Headlight Clean up