1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

hard starting after use

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:41 AM
usaweapon777
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy hard starting after use

Hey guys, well after having getting some help here earlier i finally got my 91 v6 dakota to run and its running great actually. In the meantime i also replaced the thermostat cause it was overheating,battery, and i put on a new hold down just because the other was soo rusty it broke in half, and put my anger into it by taking a sawzall to the muffler because it had peeled apart and was dragging lol.
Its getting there but i have one major issue right now that the truck has been plagued with for a few years. It fires up right away whens its cold and runs fine but after say a half hour of driving all of the sudden it just turns off. and it wont start again for a few hours it cranks hard but just doesnt start. If i go and start it the next day bang! and it fires right up I don't know whats causing this intermittent problem and i hope i don't have to get another computer...... any help appreciated. If i can get this issue fixed maybe itll be my first truck when i get my license. Till then its dukes of hazard style on the farm! BRING ON THE DONUTS!!!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First are you getting any check engine codes? Most likely it is the power splice right below the Power Distribution center under the hood. Check the FAQ for a write up.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:18 PM
usaweapon777

nope no check engine codes, nothin it just turns off

Old 08-12-2009, 06:27 PM
usaweapon777

i take the last message back. I reset the battery and drove it till it died again and i got error code no distributor input . Im going to look tommorrow to see where the cable might have corroded.

Quick Reply: hard starting after use