1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 5.2L lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:56 AM
ztekdesign
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 5.2L lack of power

I just bought a 95 Dakota with a 5.2L. The problem I am having is a lack of power. Also it seems to idle high. It idles at 800 when cold but will idle at 1200 when warm. I have so far replaced the IAC, Crank Sensor, Dist Pickup, cap, rotor, plugs and wires. I have also checked fuel pressure. I also cleaned out the CAT and cleaned the TB and did the seafoam treatment.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:27 AM
grswat
Veteran

Do you have any check engine lights? Since it is idling high when warm I would think it may be an intake gasket leaking or something like that. I would also check for vacuum leaks all over both when its cold and again when its hot. Mine idles at about 1200 when cold and 500 when warm.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:07 AM
ztekdesign

No error codes. Seems to idle fine without any misses. Just seems to be very sluggish under load and idles high when warm. I have also noticed that when driving it shifts into overdrive at 40mph and if I keep it at that speed it kind of bucks and shudders. If I turn OD off it seems fine. At 60mph OD is fine.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:13 AM
ztekdesign

The only other thing I know about this truck is the guy said it needed a computer because it wouldn't start. That I replaced already and it now starts and runs. He also said a few months back he ran it out of gas. I have a feeling that this problem started after and this is why he put it up for sale. Fuel pressure is around 40-42 PSI and will hold for a few minutes at about 38 PSI with the key off. About the only thing I haven't replaced is the MAP, TPS and O2 sensors.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:10 AM
ztekdesign

Fixed! well kind of. Two plug wires were out of place. I made sure to replace one wire at a time when I did the tuneup. Problem is the guy that I bought the truck from must have been messing around with the plug wires. Probably part of the reason it was parked and for sale. Runs good now. Just need to figure out why it's idling high. Checked the TPS, it was at .880 at idle, then I replaced the IAC and it didn't help.

Last edited by ztekdesign; 08-17-2009 at 07:26 AM.

Quick Reply: 95 5.2L lack of power