1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

My build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:47 PM
skyshark186
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My build thread

Sigh.....third time Ive typed this out. Keep hitting stupid buttons. Grrr.

Ok so I have too many threads going to keep up, so Ill just lump it all together here and save space.

I have some new pics for you guys, Ill post em in the morning. I have my interior finished(except the front seats), and my hood painted with the bed liner. It came out really well. That stuff is hard as nails after a full cure. Should keep noise down some too with how heavy it is. I also mounted up a set of 35's to mock stuff up with.

I just finished a deal on a dana 60 rear and HD dana 44 front. 300 bucks for both axles and misc steering stuff and springs. I bought a welder over the weekend(welder, cart, argon K bottle, and some other stuff for 300 bucks...sweet), so Im set to go as soon as I pick up my axles. Ill do an in depth post on mounting them up, particularly the 44 front.

Im looking at running 37's so I think Ill probably run 4.56 gears. I want low enough to crawl without losing my streetability. It will run the highway some. Im also looking for locker options. I dont want to to air/electric lockers since this is a budget build, so any input would be nice. I ran a lockrite in my bronco with 4.56 gears and 35 inch swampers and it did fine. They say its not for "larger" tires so Im not sure how well it would hold up. Ive actually considered a spool for the rear. Not great for ever day driving.......but impossible to beat offroad. Thoughts? Im trying to stay under 400 per locker.

Finally(for now), Im building a front bumper. Im going to cut my front fender off as high as possible, and move the axle at least 1 inch further foreward than stock. I want my fender to rest on the top of my bumper(to protect it from obstacles), and give me the best possible approach angle. Here is a picture of where I want to make my cut, and a couple links to bumpers that may be similar to what I make.

how I want it to sit

http://www.rigidco.com/Web3_main_FbG_on_Brads.jpg

A bumper design I like

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/data/a...ont_Bumper.jpg

and where Ill make my cut

As always thoughts and comments are appreciated. Even if its lay off the crack and go to sleep(lol....Ive been up for going on 3 days now. Sigh....my dog is afraid of storms)

Old 08-20-2009, 02:53 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice plan! Get some sleep! You will need it when you build this truck up! A Powertrax locker would be good but if strength is what your after and low cost maybe a Detroit locker. Post up as many pics as you can.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:07 PM
skyshark186
Captain

Here are some interior shots. The truck still has half its parts inside it, so a little messy, but you get the idea.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Bump
Veteran

Looks awesome! Were you using seat covers for the fronts, or re-covering them as well?

Old 08-21-2009, 01:10 PM
skyshark186
Captain

We are making seat covers.

Thanks. I really like it.

Quick Reply: My build thread