1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

What Just Happened?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:22 AM
rocky321
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Just Happened?

89 Dakota 3.9 V6 auto. Very reliable truck. I was low on fuel (light on) and when I went to start it it stumbled and stalled. Never did that before and I've been this low on fuel also. Tried it again and it did the same thing. I poured about a gallon of fuel in the tank and this time it started. I drove to the gas station and filled up. Driving back home there was a stumble and it stalled. Would not start. Long and fast cranking, no start. While waiting for a pickup, I tried it again and it started like normal. Drove home without incident. Now I'm leary to drive it. Any ideas where to start?

Old 08-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lot's of possibilities! One is that you overheated your fuel pump when you ran it low on fuel. The fuel keeps the pump cool. It may be on its last leg. Get a fuel pressure guage and see if you have enough pressure. Next it can be something unrelated to your situation. Like the ignition system or the power system. Just get a multimeter and start testing the systems. For service manuals and wiring diagrams go to the FAQ in this section.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Hotpappa
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had similar problem on my 92 3.9, replacing external fuel filter helped but fuel pump was the ultimate fix.

Quick Reply: What Just Happened?