1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

OBD meters not getting readings

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:35 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd take another look at the wiring (including using a multimeter/ohmmeter to make sure the wiring is actually making a connection).
It would be dumb to replace the expensive computer if it was simply a problem with a wire.

By the way, apparently, you should be getting battery voltage at pin 16. For which pin is which, look http://www.obdii.com/connector.html
If it's not getting battery voltage, look at the fuses under the hood. (Particularly the 5A fuse)

Old 09-16-2009, 03:35 PM
rocksolidmic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx, the 5amp fuse in the power distribution box was blown (thought it only fed interior lamps and power mirrors according to manual) my interior lights work now but dont have a meter to check. Did use the count the blinks method and pulled two codes. 12 which states battery has been disconnected (i know that) and 21 O2 sensor problem. I had to replace the O2 sensors last yr. to pass. How could they be bad already, also have a yr. old cat and exhaust, the cat being a magnaflow. Could that cause it, its supposed to be emissions legal.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:17 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rocksolidmic
Thanx, the 5amp fuse in the power distribution box was blown (thought it only fed interior lamps and power mirrors according to manual) my interior lights work now but dont have a meter to check.
Actually, the manual says, on page 8W-11-10, Fuse 2 (the 5AMP) feeds Time Delay Relay, Splice S202, and Underhood Lamp.
On page 8W-70-15, Splice S202 feeds Power Mirror Switch, Dome Lamp, Radio, Glove Box Lamp, Overhead Console, and Data Link Connector (the name for that connector)

As far as the oxygen sensor, I don't know. It seems to be hit and miss. Some people never get codes from them (even when their bad), some people can never seem to get rid of the light. Perhaps you got a bad sensor. You're not alone!

Quick Reply: OBD meters not getting readings