1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Custom Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Chris0908
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Stereo

Hey everyone, I'm wanting to do a system in my 96 Regular cab, but I refuse to go with the "Slim Sub" I was talking with one of the stereo shops by my house and they suggested cutting 2 holes (one in the bed to fit my box and the 2 12" Subs and ones into the cab) but he couldn't remember the one piece that was needed to make the hold functional it was like a rubber gromet that was insanely oversize that fit the box came with the sheet metal made for the box to keep it dry. Does anyone know what that is or where I can get one????

Old 09-15-2009, 12:52 AM
skyshark186
Captain

Your talking about cutting the cab so your sub mounts flush to the cab and then a hole in the box so your coil sticks through?

Personally I wouldnt do that much body damage for sound, but if your doing it I would see some other work the guy has done before I let him chop up my truck.

You could try using silicone, or checking with a topper supply/sales place for thick rubber gaskets.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Bump
Veteran

That sounds like a lot of work that I would be leary about the structural integrity of the cab, not to mention air/water leaks. and it would still make your back seat no longer fully functional as there would be no back rest.

I am planning a sub install as well and I am thinking of going 1 of 2 ways.

remove the plastics to make more room in the storage compartments under the rear seats. Depending on the size of the subs, it is possible that you may have to modify and box in the floor of the cab a little, but less than going into the bed!

The one I am leaning to is switching to bucket seats and making a custom center counsel (sp?) and mount the sub facing the rear in the back of the counsel. Only allow for one, but would add bucket seats and more storage as well.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Chris0908
Professional

I have way to much money into the stereo I wanna put in, and it's would be better for me to use the vented box it's in, because it's made for the subs. As for the seat's it's a standard short cab, I can't even fit a thin computer back there so once I find this part it's sawzall time

Old 09-15-2009, 10:41 AM
dakota33
Professional

I would really love to see this done, post up some pics along the way

Old 09-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Bump
Veteran

Cool. I assumed ext cab.

In that case, I would fabricate a box the proper size out of sheet metal with a flange inside the cab. so basically its a box with one end open (front, inside cab) and the flange would rivet to the inside of the cab sheet metal. Then seal the cab penetration with a flexable all weather sealant. The penetration through the box skin shouldnt matter if your fabricated metal box is water tight. Then also think about supporting it so it wont vibrate and sound like hell.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:49 AM
dakota33
Professional

either way.. its going to take ALOT of work, But anything that is custom I love to see, and give credit too!, so good luck with it man, the final product should deff be worth it!

Old 09-15-2009, 05:13 PM
94 mark3
Professional

i'm thinking it'd be easier for you to just sell your truck and buy an ext cab.

i am curious to see pictures of this kind of set up in a truck

Old 09-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Chris0908
Professional

I think I'm gonna pull the truck into one of the bays at work and get some measurement's up. The regular cab has some room behind the seats but not a lot. Either that or see if I can get a thin sub box to fit back there with a full size sub (it's worth a shot to do the work) but if I have to I'm gonna cut some holes, bend some metal, and Ryno the bed of the truck and put a Tonto cover over the back of it. I gotta figure something out.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:06 PM
DATANK1436
Amateur

I was able to fit 2 fullsize 10'' subs (kicker cvr) in a custom box in my regular cab. The seat has to be all the way forward but I am not very tall so it works for me.

Quick Reply: Custom Stereo