1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

no brake pressure...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 05:14 PM
burnthesnikle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no brake pressure...

newbie here...
i have come across a Dakota...it had a few bad lines so i replaced them
now i did have brake pressure at first...now when the truck is running it goes to the floor and no pressure builds...shut it off and the petal gets hard to push

i took the caliper off and it doesn't move...when pressing petal...

Old 10-15-2009, 07:06 PM
woodbutcher5691
Professional

If your lines were bad, the m/c is prolly shot as well. You might try to re-bleed all the lines also. Can't hurt

Old 10-16-2009, 02:32 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya could be your mc. Or a leak making you loose pressure.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:58 AM
pashadowops
Veteran

When you say you had pressure at first, do you mean to say that you had pressure before you worked on the brakes, or after you replaced the lines you had pressure but, when you started the truck you lost the pressure you had. If the former is the case then I would have to say that the system was not properly bled. Especially if when you press the pedal you get no movement from the caliper. Now if you didn't have pressure to begin with and that led you to discover that you had bad brake lines, then what my forum mates said about the master cylinder. I would check the power brake booster as well. Is there a puddle of fluid under the truck when you press the pedal to the floor?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:50 PM
azvampyre
Professional
Question Me too.

I have a similar problem. When the trucks not running, it has plenty of pressure, but when I start the truck, the pedal goes nearly all the way to the floor before the brakes start to catch.
I replaced the master cylinder and power booster two months ago and let it sit until last week. Today I took it to Brake Masters for a brake flush, but it didn't make a difference except for it made my wallet lighter by $45.00.
When I first started it last week, it wouldn't idle because the pb check valve was leaking around the grommet; but after a while of revving it, the booster built up pressure, sealing the check valve.
The booster and master cylinder are Cardone remanufactured from Checker/Schucks/Oreilly Auto Parts; if anyone knows how to fix this; you will be my best friend forever.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:33 AM
grswat
Veteran

If the truck has abs there may be air in the abs system. Not sure of the procedure for bleeding that out.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:31 PM
azvampyre
Professional

I let it gravity bleed for about an hour, and the pedal was still soft. I removed the master cylinder and found that the power booster push rod was too short, so I adjusted it and alls well now.

Quick Reply: no brake pressure...