1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Torsion Bar Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:13 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Torsion Bar Question

Have any of you guys with cranked torsion bars noticed them "settling" at all? The backstory to that question is this...

Last summer, when I noticed the frame on my truck was bent (from an accident before I had it), I pulled the frame out at the body shop. It was bent at the rear lower control arm mount on the driver's side (frame was rolled inward). After replacing it, I decided to replace that torsion bar. I bought a new one from a dealership and installed it at the same time I got my lift keys. So with the newly fixed frame and lift keys and cranked torsion bars, I got the front end realigned. 3 times since then, I've had to re-crank that left torsion bar to level it with the right cause it keeps sagging. For those of you who remember when I removed the swaybar, that was the most recent time I've messed with them (got it realigned right after that), and a couple days ago I noticed the left side was again sitting about a 1/2 inch low. I remeasured it half a dozen times since to make sure it wasn't just parked weird.

What are ya'lls thoughts?

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 10-29-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:27 PM
skyshark186
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With how much you have them cranked I wouldnt think it to be impossible. Plus if your sway bar was forcing one to work harder(whichever had the better spring rate) I would think that would make it worse.

Seems plausible.

Lol...If ya need a pair that match theres some chillin under the pile of original parts I have.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:49 PM
'95Dakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it sounds right to me. Every new part has a break in period of some sort.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya sounds like you just gotta let it find its resting place. Are both keys around th same spot on the bolts. I have heard of stories where people park there truck at an angle for to long, or everynight and it sits slanted.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:02 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright, thanks guys! I was just worrying about it since it's been over a year and it still seems to be settling down.

Actually, no, the bolts are different, but I think thats just cause the frame might not be back to 100% in that spot. It hasn't caused any alignment issues, and it looks right, but I'm sure its still off a little.

I wonder if it has to do with the truck being up in the air on jack stands while I was working on the tranmission and doing the transfer case swap. As soon as I get my 15/16 inch socket back from a buddy of mine I'll just crank that side again so it sits level. Its already aligned to sit up there, so I just need to get it back up there.

Quick Reply: Torsion Bar Question