1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009 | 09:54 PM
red_line
|
Rookie
Default Need some help...

Hey Im new on here. Just bought a 92 Dakota 318 4x4 Short Bed/ Standard Cab. Just had some transmission work done (New input shaft seal, Output shaft seal, Shift selector seal, and Torque Convertor).

The Trans shop informed me I have a couple trouble codes:
32- EGR Circuit open/short
41- Alternator field control circuit open/short

Just curious how I would go about fixing these problems.

Also, having some trouble getting into four-wheel-drive. Should the trans be in park or neutral when selecting four wheel drive? The transfer case just grinds when trying to select 4H and 4Lo. I noticed on the dirvers side of the transfer case there is a cylinder goin into the case that has some what seem to be vacume lines comin off of it. It looks like it is suppose to be threaded in, mine is taped and has a hose clamp holding it in place. Not sure if that is affecting the transfer case shifting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am very mechanically inclined, just used to imports mainly Hondas...the whole V8 4x4 is new to me

Here are some pics when I first got it...done some cleaning up since...
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  195.2 KB
Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  187.0 KB
Name:  photo3.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  138.7 KB
Name:  photo4.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  161.9 KB
Name:  photo5.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  155.0 KB
BTW...anyone know where I can get the door moldings that my truck is missing? I cant find them anywhere.

Last edited by red_line; 11-02-2009 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Added pics.
Old 11-01-2009 | 10:03 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Welcome to DF. The EGR can be due to leaky vacuum lines or need to replace the EGR.

The Alt. code is usually a faulty Alt.

Reset the computer to see if the codes go away or come back. Disconnect the battery for a min.

The vacuum hoses off of the transfer case operate the front axle CAD, central axle disconnect.

The trouble shifting may be due to the shift linkage off, but it sounds like you may not know how to shift it.

For 2wd to 4wd you can be going any speed in gear. Pull down with no hesitation. Same way to get out of it.

For 4low you have to put the transmission in neutral then move slightly like down a slight hill 1-3mph. Without hesitation go all the way down. Same thing to get out of 4low.

Old 11-01-2009 | 10:27 PM
red_line
|
Rookie

I figured I would just replace the EGR, sounds like the alt too I guess.

I will try the shifting into 4x4 while driving. I had a 98 Dakota didnt know four wheel drive selection was the same for my 92.

So If the vacume lines arent connected right wouldnt that affect the CAD? What exactly is the central axle disconnect?

Thanks for the help, ive been reading the faq's and have found alot of helpful info

Old 11-01-2009 | 11:54 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Yes if the lines are missed up that could cause the front axle from activating when selected to 4wd. Also depending where the vacuum lines come from that may be a cause for the EGR light to come on. Before you replace anything rest the computer, and fix the lines.

The CAD Disconnects the front Axle in the Center. It is just like on older style axles with locking hubs. So this way in 2wd the axles just spin without spinning everything. Saves on gas.

Old 11-02-2009 | 12:40 AM
red_line
|
Rookie

Wow...ok makes a lil more sense...so I guess I will take a look under the truck and scope things out. I dont have a check engine light on but the shop checked the codes...I might just have to check what codes are stored in the computer myself. Thanks again.

Old 11-02-2009 | 12:30 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Looks like a good truck. As for the codes it is easy to check. Turn on off the ignition 3 times. Count the number of flashes of the check engine light. Check the FAQ in this section for the codes.

Old 11-03-2009 | 06:24 AM
red_line
|
Rookie

Yeah...got the code thing figured out...still the same 2, egr and alt

Tried out the 4 wheel drive today, it works just fine. Got some suspension/brake work to do before winter though.

Still need to find those door moldings.

Old 11-05-2009 | 06:10 AM
red_line
|
Rookie

Anybody know where i can get or happen to have some of the door moldings my truck is missing?

Ive tried local craigslist, ebay, ect

Old 11-05-2009 | 09:39 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Junk yard you best bet.

Old 11-06-2009 | 03:47 AM
red_line
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Junk yard you best bet.
Thats what I figured.

Well im gettin ready to do some work to the truck: New ball joints, new tie rod ends(inners, outers, pitman arm, idler arm), front and rear brakes, shocks, and possibly a lift kit. Anyone have some tips or tricks for any of the above? Done some research and got a service manual so I should be good.

Quick Reply: Need some help...