1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 dakota power issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Gibb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 dakota power issue

Just got my first dodge....problem is does not want to run. Runs fine for a bit, starts to stall, has no power when you press gass, will some times shut down, restarts fine, but still no power to go up hills....acts like its not getting gas. Fuel pump may be obvious answer, what else could it be?

There are occasional surges of power when you give it gas, but mostly just starts to smell flooded, sputters, stalls, will no move far at a time....(I live in st thomas usvi, very hilly......)

Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First of all you posted this in the 2nd Generation. A 95 is a 1st Generation. I will move it for you.

Also do a tune up. Replace plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor. Non problem related stuff like oils and filters are always good too.

Several things it could be, from a bad coil to the fuel pump dying or low fuel pressure or even a vacuum leak or a bad sensor. Do you have a check engine light? Did you check the codes? Not all codes will send a check engine light. And not all bad sensors will send out a code.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Gibb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I check the codes? Not much of a mechanic before I got this truck. So far I have changed the spindles, rotors, brakes, plugs, oil filter, oil, head lights, tail lights.
I have a new fuel pump in the mail, going to attempt the fuel filter change this afternoon.

Is there a way to tell if it’s a sensor? Truck runs fine for about 20 min or so, sometimes less…then the power fades away. Still has no go…….

Thanks for the suggestions on things to check…..any pointers in how to go about it.

I would take it to a mechanic but don’t have the money, and down here it would mean leaving the truck with them for a long period of time…island time you know….very slow. Better to do it myself…..if I can…….

Old 11-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For a 95 the fuel filter is located in on the pump sending unit. You can check the codes by turning on and off the ignition switch 3 times. For more info and the codes go to the FAQ in this section. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post1472415

Quick Reply: 95 dakota power issue