1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

gas milage is getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 05:59 AM
Applehugger
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
I have never heard of 85 octane! You should never run anything lower than 87! It says so in the owners manual and FSM! Sorry dude, I thought when you said that you were running premium gas like some people do. Forget everything I said about running high octane gas. It still wouldn't hurt to clean the engine with seafoam and put in a new o2 sensor though.
Hang on a second, it's possible he lives in a high altitude area. 85 Octane gas is very common there and is comparable to the 87 octane gas used closer to sea-level. The higher the altitude, the lower the octane requirement. So to the OP, if you're living in an area like that, 85 octane gas is fine.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:02 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran

You can use Seafoam in at least two ways to clean an engine...in the fuel tank with gas, or directly into the manifold/carb to clean the fuel system; or in the crankcase before you change the oil to clean the innards. Follow the label directions, but don't confuse the two methods. Both are good for your engine.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM
azvampyre
Professional

Originally Posted by tmacdakota
You can use Seafoam in at least two ways to clean an engine...in the fuel tank with gas, or directly into the manifold/carb to clean the fuel system; or in the crankcase before you change the oil to clean the innards. Follow the label directions, but don't confuse the two methods. Both are good for your engine.
If I pour a can of Seafoam into half a tank, or 11 gallons, will the engine smoke? How effective is it to pour the whole can in the tank and none in the manifold and crankcase? It sure would be easier that way, and a one man job.

Quick Reply: gas milage is getting worse