1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

No start; no click; no dimming of dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Bdrumr56
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start; no click; no dimming of dash lights

Have a '90 Dakota with 3.9L, 97K.

Just got the truck (less than a week). Thoughts are: corroded terminals (no dimming of dome light or dash lights when trying to crank has me thrown, though); starter motor, since there isn't even a click...any other "usual suspects" I should check?

In the limited experience with the truck (about 200 Miles), nothing has been glaringly obvious, except probably needing to replace the speed sensor. Haven't pulled any "flash codes" yet.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:12 AM
festerw
Veteran

You can swap relays in the PDC to see if that is a problem, otherwise you'll need a test light or multi-tester easy test for the starter itself would be to see if you're getting voltage to the small wire on the starter, if you've got voltage there then the solenoid is bad. There is a service manual in the FAQ that has wiring diagrams.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 AM
kahanabob
Captain

tap on the starter with a long broom handle or whatever will reach (4 or 5 good hits) then see if it starts, if it does then the starter is bad........

Old 01-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Bdrumr56

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll get out and put them to use when there's a few less snowflakes blowing down my neck. Maybe tomorrow?

Bdrumr56

Quick Reply: No start; no click; no dimming of dash lights