1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

so close

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:11 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default so close

So, it's almost February. For those of you who remember, I'm currently deployed to Iraq, have been here since October, and I'll be back in the US towards the late part of February.

Awaiting me is still a decent amount of work on the truck, something I am more than eager to get working on.
I have a few problems with the brakes, or brake components. All brake components are new (with the exception of the proportioning valve and RWAL valve)
(1) No matter how much I tried bleeding the brakes, the pedal would still fall to the floor. I will conduct a simple on-vehicle bench-test to determine if the master cylinder is at fault due to internal leakage. If not, I guess it will be a simple bleed-as-you-go until the problem is found.
(2) The brake lights are always on. I adjusted the switch as far as it goes, but it's still no help. I will reinspect the components, as well as take another look at the brake booster push rod. I suspect something to be out-of-wack with it.
(3) Will need to fabricate a few small parts for the parking brakes (mainly, cable guides and tension adjuster, simple)
(4) Passenger side caliper was leaking at hose connection. I believe I got the issue fixed, but 4 months will tell for sure!

During reinstallation of the passenger side lower suspension arm, I incorrectly indexed the torsion bar, causing the suspension to bottom out (seriously, couldn't even get the jack out from under the truck). Will have to look for the easiest way to fix that.

I believe those are the only things holding my truck back from being road-worthy again. Sure can't wait to get it on the road so I can finally get some work done on the house!

If any of you guys have any hints, tips, suggestions, etc. about the issues above, or any problems you remember me having, please feel free to chime in.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just skip it. You don't need brakes. Just keep on going!

Ya it sounds like the master cylinder has failed. Easy fix. Just replace. I had to replace mine once in a walmart parking lot. It failed and I had absolutely no brakes. Good thing I was only driving at Idle when it failed, just let it coast until it stopped.

I don't even know how you got to the switch. I looked at it once and there was no way. Air ducts were in the way. But maybe it needs to be Re-adjusted or replaced.

Ya the parking brake stuff should be easy.

There is always some kind of leak! You will have a nice puddle after 4 months if it want fixed.

You have been working on that truck forever. From control arms all the way to brakes. Did you replace that transmission too. Or maybe that was someone else.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:14 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

I replaced the transmission in March of 2008 while in Northern Illinois. The truck has been sitting in it's current location, my garage in Arkansas, since December 2008.
Basically, because of my own mistakes, laziness, and to a lesser extent, the truck itself; I haven't been able to drive it much in the last 2 years.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL! 2 Years. I guess thats one way to keep the miles building up on it, and save the paint from the sun.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:11 AM
dodgerules86
Champion

It also keeps it off the salted roads (Illinois, not Arkansas), which saves from the formation of rust.
Not driving it = parts not going bad either, haha!
But it's hard to get supplies from Lowes to the house to do home improvements.

Quick Reply: so close