1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Rust Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Senate427
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust Problems?

vehicle- 1993 Dakota 4x4 V6 reg

I still have lots of work to do to my truck but one problem could ruin everything and that is the rust all over my frame and cables. Today my brake line busted because I slammed on my brakes and when I looked at my brake cable that I replaced last year I noticed it was very much corroded. Anyway the rust and corrosion developing on my truck is getting worse and if I don't clean it up I will fail my next inspection.

Since I live in area with hard winters and wet summers I need to really protect my truck now.

questions....

1. Should I use a grinder to clean the rust off my frame or would that make the frame thinner?

2. What kind of undercoat should I use like bed liner?

3. Is there away I can prevent corrosion from happening to my brake lines?

5. What do you think I should do and would you recommend this rust product?

http://www.ruststopnorthamerica.com/

Thanks

Old 01-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't deal with rust. But I have seen the electronic devices like the one you posted in TV shows and they trust it.

For the rust already on it is truly best to get it sandblasted off. But that can be expensive. So a inhibitor paint will work for minor rust. This is the first one I found off of www.google.com http://www.rustbullet.com/

Old 01-27-2010, 01:08 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

POR-15 is one of the best rust inhibitor paints I've ever seen.

A cheaper, yet more labor intensive alternative to sand blasting is get a grinder and put a wire wheel on it! Those wire wheels are usually has hard as or softer than the steel the frame is made of, so it won't take any metal off the frame, but will take the rust off. Thats what I've been doing to clean up my new suspension parts and it has worked great.

But my suggestion is to wire wheel the frame and then coat it with POR-15.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 01-27-2010 at 01:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Rust Problems?