1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Trailer tow rating Chart

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Gummer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No man..I dont.. They cracked straight across where the center bolt goes through though

Old 03-27-2015, 09:38 AM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's the official data from the 1990 Dakota Factory Service Manual.

Note: This info would obviously accurate for the 1990 Dakota, but it "SHOULD" be closer to weights and towing capacities for the pre-1990 Dakota, than the 1995 info for the later gen 1 trucks with a different body style and magnum engines posted By Crazy4x4RT at the beginning of the thread.

Again... it can only be considered truely accurate for the 1990. You assume any risks by using this info.

To use the chart you need to know the Engine, Transmission, Axle Ratio, wheel base, and GVWR for your truck.
The GVWR for your specific truck is shown on the sticker on the driver door jam.

Even if this chart says your truck can tow 5200 lbs, you likely cannot do that. Other factors like hitch capacity, net vehicle weight, maximum rear axle weight,having a transmission cooler, air temperature when towing, flat or mountainous roads ?, and government regulations, all effect the actual safe capacity.

I used this website to calculate my maximum trailer weight and maximum tongue weight:
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

If you don't know how this is all calculated, you should consult with a professional towing/hitch installation company. Towing, if done incorrectly, can kill you and others.

Last edited by RobertMc; 03-27-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:21 AM
soar_dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trailer wrights

The two things you need to worry about trailer weight is overloading the leaf springs and the wheel bearings. I have a 93 3.9 5sp man with 3.55 it says I can tow 4500 with a 8000 gross I have towed a 6000 travel trailer around with no issues when I changed to a locker rear the bearings looked great.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:02 AM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soar_dude
The two things you need to worry about trailer weight is overloading the leaf springs and the wheel bearings. I have a 93 3.9 5sp man with 3.55 it says I can tow 4500 with a 8000 gross I have towed a 6000 travel trailer around with no issues when I changed to a locker rear the bearings looked great.
I don't know what the curb weight is on a 93, but pulling a 5000lb trailer with a early 1gen dakota is a quick way to have both your truck and trailer impounded, because 5000lbs is more than the net vehicle weight of the truck. If you got into an accident ,it would be a way to be sued into oblivion
It's not just if the truck can pull it, it's if it can stop and handle 100% safely.

An extreme example of that is when I pulled a dual axle car hauler with a Dodge Ram 1500 on it, on a flat road for 70 miles .... pulled by a Chevy Astro van with the factory vortec but beefed up springs.
The van could pull it fine. Stopping, or handling in windy conditions, or going through hills downhill was dangerous, even with trailer brakes.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:15 PM
soar_dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobertMc
I don't know what the curb weight is on a 93, but pulling a 5000lb trailer with a early 1gen dakota is a quick way to have both your truck and trailer impounded, because 5000lbs is more than the net vehicle weight of the truck. If you got into an accident ,it would be a way to be sued into oblivion
It's not just if the truck can pull it, it's if it can stop and handle 100% safely.
I don't know where you heard about vehicles and trailer being impounded because the trailer weighs more then the tow vehicle. Those super large 5th wheels commonly outweigh the truck towing them. You hit on the key trailer brakes. As long as you do not exceed the tongue weight or carrying weight of the truck you can tow it with this caveat the heavier the trailer the more wear tear on the drive train and the worse gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Trailer tow rating Chart