1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Engine Swap, 3.9 to a 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:42 PM
ratedpwg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap, 3.9 to a 5.2

Hi, I am fairly new here but I have been a member for a while now, just that I haven't posted anything really until now. See I have a 1994 Dodge Dakota 2 wheel drive, club cab v6 5 speed that I got from my dad about 5-6 years ago. I have put approximately about 200,000 kms on it since owning it. Since I have put all the km's on it, the ol' gal has really started to leak oil from anywhere there was a gasket to hold it (oil) back. So I heard that you could easily swap a 5.2 in for the 3.9. So I did some research and asked around to see how easy it could be done. Once I gathered the info together I found a fellow on kijiji that had a 5.2 out of a dakota for sale,... so I contacted him and went and heard it run and start and I bought it and got a bunch of extras with it for 800 dollars. Anyway my brother being a license tech offered to do the swap for free this past couple of months while his inlaws were a way and he could use their shop to do the swap. Well he got the engine in and switched computers and did some rewiring and got her going with the v8 (2months later!!!!) Once he did that he took it out and was trying to figure out the o2 sensor wiring when he did a smoke show and a short time later the motor started to knock!!!!... So he took it home and had to take the motor out and do another swap. My dad and mother inlaw paid for a new motor and my dad and bro had it running 5 days later... then shortly after that he had to give me the truck back because the inlaws came home. So now I have a 1994 Dodge Dakota with a 318 (5.2) 5speed 2 wheel drive club cab. But I have some problems with it and I am wondering if people here can help me. I have a computer in the truck that came from a 1995 Dodge 1500 5.2 5speed. Now I was told that all the sensors on the engine need to match the computer or there can be issues. With that being said, can anyone tell me how many O2 sensors should be on the truck and how to wire it. See I am not saying my brother did a bad job but I am now left with a truck that runs but has issues that haven't been finished. See it will go but if you put your foot to the boards, it just sits there. If you lift your foot a 1/4 of that way off the floor,... you better hold on to your seat because your going for a ride. Now this happens as the O2 sensors aren't hooked up or not wired right,.... can someone help. Thanks Paul

PS I will post some pics shortly.

PPS I need a set of good fenders in a maroon type red color... does anyone have some for sale. I am in Cambridge Ontario canada.

Thanks again.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is only 1 O2 sensor. You should be fine with the Rams computer. One guy on here is running his 95 5.2 Dakota with a 95 5.9 Ram computer.

As for wires check the FAQ for the service manual. That has complete wiring diagrams and you can correctly do the wires.

For your problems it may be anything that is causing it, from bad wiring to a bad sensor. Do you have any Check Engine Light codes?

Yes we all love pics! Post them when you can.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:18 AM
ratedpwg
Smile

I was told that the motor had to be wired and have the sensors in it to match the computer so that it can pass emissions. I have a mopar book here that says the same about it having the sensors that the computer came out of,... so I am really confused,.. I am going to try to fix it tomorrow so I will let you know how I make out.

Oh ya,.. I forgot,.. Mitchell on demand says that there is two O2 sensors for the ram left and right but if I go to buy an exhaust for one,...the exhaust has an O2 sensor in the front of the cat and another about 14inches behind it,... so I don't know what to do....

Any more suggestions,... it all helps.

Thanks Crazy4x4RT

Paul.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:13 PM
ratedpwg
Unhappy

Well today I went to my dads and met my brother and all his clan to work on my dakota,... He relocated both o2 sensors to before and aft of the cat,... we fired the old girl up and ,... then bang pop bang pop pop pop bang,... it did that just to the corner which was about 150ft from where the truck was being worked on. So he came back into the driveway. Took his scanner to try and pull any trouble codes from the computer,..... and....... nothing!!!!! He couldn't find anything wrong,... with everything new and the wiring triple and quadruple checked,.... there is only one thing that we think it might be,... the computer is bad. So now with my brother pulling his hair out by the roots and 3/4 of the day shot. He parked it and then he went home after telling my dad that he was going to take it to a mechanic whom is the only other mechanic that has worked on my truck since by dad bought it used back in 1998 I think. I had alot of work done by this guy as well. I don't know of any mechanic that is such a dodge nut as this guy. So being that this guy owes my bro a favour,... he is going to diagnose the truck for free and my bro is going to fix it. I would try and fix it my self,... but my brother and dad told me that they would fix it and I am not turning a wrench until it is done the way I want it. (which I told them both and they agreed to it) So now I must wait and see what happends. But I will be phoning my dad and bro this week to see what is wrong with Nelly Bell.

On that note I will say thanks for the help and any other suggestions to get my truck fixed right is always welcome. Thanks again

Paul

Old 03-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Your Welcome! Good luck! Keep us updated.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:03 AM
dakota33
Professional

its funny how sometimes these swaps go through so easy for some people.. but I should say I pretty much had the same problem, is it just back firing and sputtering? if so, I would say it is the computer and not getting the right fire., I would deff try another computer,

Old 03-23-2010, 09:09 PM
ratedpwg
Lightbulb

That's pretty well what my dad, my bro and me figured it might be as well. I am going to call my dad tonight and see what' s up. He phoned earlier. I will let you know what I have found out.

Thanks everybody for your help. Keep it coming though, not out of the woods yet.

Paul

Quick Reply: Engine Swap, 3.9 to a 5.2