1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Maint Reqd

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:54 AM
Moparkid13
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maint Reqd

That is what light is showing on my 89 kota. How do I figure out exactly whats wrong with it.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:48 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If I remember right it was a reminder to change the oil or a reminder to check emission stuff. You can try unhooking the battery for a few mins to rest it. But I think you need a scanner to rest the light.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:16 PM
fishlessman
Professional

there is supposed to be a box with a reset tab under the dash, my 89 doesnt have this, and there is no place on my truck to plug the scanner in. my truck is completely origional, thinking there were some transitions going on in 89 with the trucks as fuel injection and so forth were being added. my light turned on at 50000 miles, its a timer to have emmision systems checked, there is no maintenence required

Old 03-17-2010, 04:15 PM
fishlessman
Professional

scratch some of what i said, looked it uop in my service manual (watch ebay for origional service manuals, my cost 20 bucks) either you have the box under the dash with a switch, or you need a DRBII. the connector is rear left where the big wire bundle Y's up against firewall

Old 03-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Moparkid13
Rookie

Crazy I just changed my oil so I know that's not it. And my battery was unplugged for almost a year straight after the trans went out, and it was on right when I started it up. and fishless I'll have to check for that switch tomorrow, Thnx. Oh and whats a drbII and where could I get that checked and do they usually charge to do it?

Old 03-18-2010, 02:22 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparkid13
Crazy I just changed my oil so I know that's not it.
If it is for the oil it is just a timer. It doesn't know when you change your oil. You have to rest it. Even new vechicle 2010 models you have to rest the oil timer. It is not psychic!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Moparkid13
Rookie

Ok where exactly is this reset button located what does it look like.. If it doesnt have the button where is the drbII connecter located and what does it look like and how much does It cost to have it checked and reset.. also will any arage have this machine..

Old 03-19-2010, 11:29 AM
fishlessman
Professional

just so you know, the maintanance reqd light is just a reminder based on time and mileage to check your emmission system, its just annoying but you can live with it on. first place mentioned in the dodge service manual for 89 rear wheel trucks: the lamp will remain lit until the module is reset by inserting a small screwdriver or rod into the hole in the module to depress the reset switch. the module is located on a bracket below the headlamp switch on the back side of the instrument panel. (ive looked for this and never found said module)

under the emmissions section it says that the light can be turned off with the drbII procedure, you either need to buy one or find a mechanic that has one, i dont think many dakotas had this system as they changerd to the newer diagnostics a year or two later. open your hood and look at the back left corner, there should be a wire bundle right up against the fire wall in the left corner, near where it Y"s there is a plug hanging in a wire, thats where it plugs into.

my mechanic says he will shut it off sometime next week, maybe ill know more then, lights been annoying me the last 25000 or so miles

Last edited by fishlessman; 03-19-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Moparkid13
Rookie

Bump... Any updates I would love to know how this works and where it is I still cant find it

Old 03-26-2010, 03:46 PM
fishlessman
Professional

look for this box under the dash, early 89's had it, later ones switched to the drbII system. look for the box first as that wont cost you, i havent brought mine to the mechanic to have the drbII shut it off as i dont have this box in mine.
http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl754i.htm

Quick Reply: Maint Reqd