1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

A few quick questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 01:59 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A few quick questions.

Every now and then my CEL comes on and hell if I know why and I dont know how to check the code cause its not a OBDII, right? Cause my local Advance Auto will check OBDII's for free and I dont have money for my own thing to check, so any ideas?

Maybe this will help...and its my other question...

She used to run fine. Nice and strong. Now shes hesitant up hills, losing up to 5 mph while just keeping steady on the gas, but fine if I gun it of course. Any thoughts?

And it also hesitates and shifts hard into reverse some times. I think I need new u joints, but I dont think thats the only problem and it seems hesitant going into overdrive (3 speed with electronic OD), like it'll get up to 3000 and climb up to 4500 rpm while only going like 45-55, or is that fine? Just doesnt seem right to me.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:18 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It is very easy to check codes. Just turn on and off the ignition 3 times. Then read the blinks of the CEL. Read this link! https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post1472415

As for the transmission check the diagnostic chart. See if any applies.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...is-charts.html
Both links are in the FAQ in this section.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Cool, thanks. But what can I do about the uphill hesitation? I dont really see anything in the transmission chart that would explain that, so is it something else or what?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:37 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be that it needs an ignition tune up, and/or 02 sensor, MAP sensor, etc. Or it could be a clogged cat or filthy air filter. Too many possibilities.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:04 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

I'd assume a tune up would do a ton of good cause I'm the 2nd owner of my baby but before I bought it, it sat for around 2 years so I did everything but a tranny flush and tune up which are probably what I shoulda done first, but yeah. Or the sensors, cause I dont have a cat and my filters clean haha, so I'll just work on that tune up and flush first. Thanks, man!

Quick Reply: A few quick questions.