1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 Dakota Axle Bearings / Seals / Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:33 PM
ravager
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Dakota Axle Bearings / Seals / Brakes

Hello again everyone . Sooooooo....my truck continues to be a money pit for me ....after finally getting my transfer case in ....I went to check my rear brakes and there is differential oil all over the inside of my drums ( no wonder my braking wasn't solid and was sketchy ) . I am currently researching " the fix " for it . I have a 92 Dak. 4WD. 3.9. Auto. If anyone could point me in the dirrection to the correct fix for the seals and bearings it would be greatly appreciated . Also any brake hints would be helpful . Thanks yall have a great day!

Old 04-29-2010, 05:27 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To pull the axle shafts out, you need to remove the differential cover, and take out the small bolt holding the differential center pin in place. This is the pin that sits between the spider gears. With the bolt out, remove the center pin and push the axle shafts inward so the C-clips fall out, then slide the axle shafts out.

The bearings and seals are on the outside end of each axle tube (close to the brakes). All you need is a puller tool and seating tool, which you should be able to rent from any local autoparts store.

Be sure to let the bearings soak in diff oil before you install them and be sure to grease the rubber part of the seal.

It should be an afternoon job... nothing at all hard about it.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:10 PM
ravager

Thanks for responding I am assuming that I should be extremely careful to not drop the pin or clips into the case . I'm thinking it would be a bitch to retrieve . And as far as the bearings go ...only soak them? No packing of grease is needed ? Thanks .

Old 04-29-2010, 06:22 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

No, you don't need to pack them with grease. In fact, packing them with grease would be a very bad thing. They will be lubricated by the diff oil. I only say to soak them first to avoid a "dry start" when you first take off before they can lubricate themselves.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:23 PM
ravager

Thanks man ...appreciate the help

Old 05-02-2010, 12:34 AM
JDakota92
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ravager
Thanks for responding I am assuming that I should be extremely careful to not drop the pin or clips into the case . I'm thinking it would be a bitch to retrieve . And as far as the bearings go ...only soak them? No packing of grease is needed ? Thanks .
Also, once the center pin is out, be careful not to rotate the spider gears with the pin removed. They could fall out of place as well.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:10 PM
ravager

ok i am struggling with this .....i got the axle out no problem ....but i cannot get the seal housing out . the inner part of the seal came out in pieces ...but the steel part of it wont come out ....it looks like its part of the backing plate ...or its so corroded that i cant see the seam of it . Is the backing plate possibly holding it in ? I cant even pull the backing plate off cuz everything is so corroded around it . Any suggestions ? thanks .

Old 05-02-2010, 02:32 PM
JDakota92
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The backing plate shouldn't be blocking anything. It's mounted to the outside of the axle housing. The seal fits inside the housing and has a lip that covers the edge of the housing. If I was doing mine, I'd take some pics and help you that way.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here this pic might help. It is from the parts manuals you can download in the FAQ in this section.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:40 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

If you have to, try to cut the steel part of the seal! Just keep in mind that you aren't reusing it, so get it out as messy as required!

Quick Reply: 92 Dakota Axle Bearings / Seals / Brakes