1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Is it time for a rebuild or what, tranny or engine...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Bryan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it time for a rebuild or what, tranny or engine...

91 Dakota 203000 miles 5.2L Automatic 4X4 engine and tranny original, not sure which tranny I have? 91 appears to be the step child of the first generation. How can I tell which tranny I have? through all I've read in the FAQ thread and elsewhere 91 is never defined (unless I just missed it).

Anyway, coming to work this morning, the truck wouldn't get over 55 or 60 no matter how hard I pushed down. It's been a little sluggish lately. all fluid levels are fine. Engine purrs like a kitten. a few weeks ago, the truck sounded like I put a turbo charger on it. whistling air when accelerating or under a load. Looked at several things for that, couldn't find anything. it went away and now it just has a rushing air sound when accelerating. Is this just the engine over reving because of a slipping tranny? or is the engine losing power due to age. I know this kinda sounds like a catalytic (sp) converter problem. but I don't think that's the case...

Old 05-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Bryan
Amateur

New Development! Just had a friend drive it that knows a lot about engines. He seems to think it's fuel related. Fuel pump is less than 2 years old, could it actually be a fuel filter? Surely it couldn't be that easy.....

Old 05-15-2010, 02:09 PM
kahanabob
Captain

might be it is on the frame just behind the drivers seat. less than $10 go for it maybe it has never been chaanged

Old 05-15-2010, 05:45 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like its the torque converter is sticking. My roommate had a 96 dakota and when he was on the highway he would be doing 100km/h and then the torque converter would lock up and slow the truck right down to 30km/h. I'd look into that before anything

Old 05-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lots of possibles. It may be the engine lacking or transmission.
As for the type it may be 46rh which is what the magnums used. Or it may just be the slightly older 727 (I think). Take it to a transmission shop or go to the dealer.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Az93DKota
Veteran

Do you have a vacuum leak and is the transmission kickdown linkage damaged? Make sure you have a spring return to your transmission valve that your linkage is connected to. And make sure the guide that the rod goes in and out of isn't broke. That will cause your problem too.

I had the kickdown linkage break on my ZJ on my way to NJ last year and my Jeep wouldn't go above 55mph. I hit a junkyard in Illinois and got a replacement. Was doing 80mph after that.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:36 AM
Bryan
Amateur

Changed the fuel filter, and plugs and dist cap. Same thing. Next check is the transmission kick down linkage. Really don't think it's the tranny. Starting to think it's a restriction in the exhaust. the valve in the exhaust on the drivers side? what is that for exactly. It moves somewhat freely, but what is it's purpose? Heat? Back pressure? Emissions?

Is it possible that the throttle body could need something? I cleaned it out about 2 years ago, there was some misc crap clogging some vacuum ports.

I checked for vacuum leaks, found none. it's pulling around 18 to 20. What sensor/actuator could cause this type of problem that is vacuum driven. Just looking for a point to test...

Thanks for the responses guys, Any new ideas/help....

Quick Reply: Is it time for a rebuild or what, tranny or engine...