1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1993 Dodge Dakote 3.9

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 PM
psebowhnter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Dodge Dakote 3.9

I am a recent owner of a Dakota with the 3.9. I had it about a week and it just started eating oil. I turned a corner one day and my pressure dropped right down to nothing and triggered the oil light. I have read a lot on here and seen the issue with the plenum gasket. I did this fix with all new intake and plenum gasket. And new spark plugs. All of the plugs looked fine except for the front passenger side spark plug. It was CAKED with oil build up. SO obviously this is where the oil is being burned. Any clue? And now after doing this I was pulling into a road coming home turning right and the pressure dropped off again and when I checked the oil when I parked it showed I had plenty of oil. Little help please...

Old 05-16-2010, 09:33 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to DodgeForum!

Take a look at the oil pressure sending unit. Its at the back of the engine, behind the intake manifold next to the distributor. Its not unheard of for them to spring a leak and need replacing.

And for future reference, you'll get more responses if you post in the 1st Generation Dakota subforum rather than here in the general dakota subforum!

Old 05-17-2010, 07:06 AM
psebowhnter

actually the sending unit is brand new. I broke it off when I was taking off the intake manifold. So that is brand new.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:43 AM
psebowhnter

Also...any idea on the one cylinder burning the oil? Possibly the rings went? I have just never heard of just one cylinder going all of the sudden.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by psebowhnter
Also...any idea on the one cylinder burning the oil? Possibly the rings went? I have just never heard of just one cylinder going all of the sudden.
Yes it can be bad rings, yes it can happen on just one piston. It could be bad valve seals. A blown head gasket.

How do you know it is just one cly?

Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 AM
psebowhnter

I guess I shouldn't say just one cylinder. But when I changed all the plugs they looked normal. With no build up. Except for the front passenger plug. And it wasn't using any oil. Then just all of the sudden the oil was gone. Then a few days later it was running rough. Like I had a cylinder not firing. That's why I changed the plugs and noticed the one spark plug completely caked with burnt oil.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 AM
kahanabob
Captain

Time to do a compression test........

Quick Reply: 1993 Dodge Dakote 3.9