1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Engine swap: '87 Dakota 2.2 replaced with '89 LeBaron 2.5, can it be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:01 PM
astroman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap: '87 Dakota 2.2 replaced with '89 LeBaron 2.5, can it be?

Ok, sorry for this newbish question. I tried doing some research online and from what I can tell my question isn't answered so here I am hoping for some help on the issue.

A little background first. I had a '89 Lebaron GTC with the 2.5 turbo & 3spd auto. Built the car up, rebuilt engine for 30psi boost, and added a intercooler. Made crazy power, but the car was a basket case from the begining and caught on fire twice, once from an exhaust leak, and the final fire burnt the car up but the engine was safe. Since then I've had this awesome engine & computer with about 5k miles on the rebuild, but nothing to put it in.

I've been keeping an eye online and on craigslist for something from Chyrler Corp. from about '87-'90 but nothings come up cheap/free enough. Idea is I want to use this engine in a "beater" head to the track, and make some jaws drop and possibly win some $$.

Well today I came across a '87 Dakota 5spd that the guy wanted gone and the original 2.2 needing to be rebuilt. SO.... I'm wondering if my Lebaron 2.5 will work? Again pardon my lack of knowledge about the dakota. I'm assuming they are all RWD... were the 2.2s FWD?? Figured I'd prod you guys for some info before I called the owner.

Thanks!!!!!

Old 05-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran

All trucks are RWD, as for the motor working, it would fit...BUT I'm assuming that you will need to make custom mounts and then i'm not sure if the trans would bolt up. You would probably also need to do a lot of custom wiring as I doubt any of the harnesses/sensors would work.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:11 AM
1fastjeep

Hi astroman,
I am in the same process of putting in a 2.5L turbo intercooled engine from a 1992 chrysler daytona shelby into my 1990 dakota 2.5L with help from my friend.

We have just pulled out the engine of the daytona and done some research online and measuring, here is what we found out.

- The intake manifold from the daytona will not clear the firewall of the dakota. We need to figure out a way to relocate the throttle body.

- The crankshaft flange looks different on both cars, so we need to put the dakota crankshaft in the daytona engine.

- It looks like the engine from the daytona will bolt onto the bellhousing on the dakota.

- Here is where I screwed up, after doing some research on the internet it looks like the A535 trans on my dakota will be the weakest link. You might want to be looking for a dakota with 2.5L chrysler K-engine (not the jeep one) with AX15 trans. Only 91 and 92 dakota will have these options(?).

Also you might want to visit turbododge website and checkout their RWD swap forum, if you have not done that already.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:30 AM
Az93DKota
Veteran
Old 05-22-2010, 03:12 PM
1fastjeep

- Az93DKota
Did I shock you with my engrish or I didn't do the "When in doubt, drop a v8" way?

Old 05-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Auron
Veteran

There is no replacement for displacement like the 8.3 L turbo diesel bus going in the drmo auction i want for a differant project http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

Old 05-23-2010, 04:31 AM
1fastjeep

- Auron
Its true there in no replacement for displacement. But there is also no replenishment when the fuel cost for biggy engine emptied your wallet.
My other truck is an srt8 jeep, and I want a dd truck that is easy on my wallet. Turbocharging is a good idea, since there is a somewhat stock way to turbocharge this truck.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Auron
Veteran

didnt think of that so yeah try to make that work for you

Quick Reply: Engine swap: '87 Dakota 2.2 replaced with '89 LeBaron 2.5, can it be?