1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dakota 3.9L injector problems, please help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:22 AM
MagnumMan3.9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota 3.9L injector problems, need help right away!!

Hi again guys,

Unfortunately I'm not posting with good news, the engine swap has been going on for OVER 2 and 1/2 weeks now and my "mechanic" has messed things up left and right. He broke the middle passenger side fuel injector wiring connector right off the 2 wires and the new wiring I believe isn't doing a good job. Out of the 2 wires one is a dark green and the other is a light green with a bright orange stripe on it, I need to know which wire faces the front of the truck and which one is towards the firewall?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and FYI besides this incident my "mechanic" also managed to scratch up both passenger and driver side fenders and hood which was in near mint condition to begin with as well as not replace the motor mount when he should have and bent the crap out of the plate/shield between the engine and transmission so it rattles. I need to get this fixed before I drive back to his shop in the next couple hours so he can fix his screw-ups.

Hope to hear back from you guys soon, thanks!

So in a "nut shell", if anyone has a mid 90's 3.9 liter V6 dakota that has multiport fuel injection, all you would have to do is look at your engine and let me know, since I don't have access to any other dakota's right now or else I would look myself. Any help is greatly appreciated

More specifically it's a 1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4 with a 3.9 Liter V6 Magnum in it.

Last edited by MagnumMan3.9; 06-19-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:40 AM
MagnumMan3.9

(Moved the post that was here to post above as to correspond to forum rules.)

Last edited by MagnumMan3.9; 06-19-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So what is your engine swap? Are you just replacing your old 3.9 with another 3.9?

Sounds like this guy doesn't know what he is doing.

For your wiring problem. I would help you but I have a V8 and mine is totally different due to installing a 5.9 and injectors from a 2000 Dakota.

But I suggest you take a look at the other 2 injectors on that side. See which wire is on all 3. That will be the positive. My guess it will be the orange striped one. They will all be in the same place. Then you can place yours in the same spot.

If you need we have the factory service manual in the FAQ in this section. That has full wiring diagrams too.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:11 PM
MagnumMan3.9

Thanks but I had left here headed for his garage before you replied and through the course of the day got it all figured out. The wiring harness from the 97 dakota actually had matching wire colors on ONE of the injectors so I just cut the connector off and wired it into the wiring harness on my working engine and it all works fine. In fact, even though the engine is running rich because the O2 sensor is bad (his diagnostic computer found that out), even though that is like that, the engine still has more power in it then the last. Considering it has 20,000 less miles on it, it isn't that big of a surprise though I guess. Once I get that O2 sensor fixed and get the fuel system treatment from a professional where they hookup that special machine, I'll really be in business. Earlier even though it hasn't been run in over a year until last week and has the sensor problem and only has a 3:55 gear ratio, I stopped dead in the road and did a break stand, it revved up so fast I didn't even have time to let off the throttle until I was in the dirt on the side of the road, then i got it back on the pavement and it started spinning again. On the pavement, no joke, it took less then 3 seconds for both rear wheels to fly past 50MPH while my truck was standing still, LOL! I'm not going to abuse it much but man it's gonna have some nut when I'm all through with it.

You should checkout this link sometime Crazy if you'd like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxkYM...eature=related I'd like one of those in my Dakota someday.

Quick Reply: Dakota 3.9L injector problems, please help ASAP!