1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need serious HELP with my 94 dodge dakota (wont start)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:40 PM
scspeed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need serious HELP with my 94 dodge dakota (wont start)

My 94 dodge dakota 3.9L v6 will not start, it ran great all winter, NEVER NOT STARTING for me...

I parked it for the summer about 3 months ago.. Went out to try and start it to move it the other day and nothing..

RunDown- Engine is getting no spark or fuel...

I don't hear the pump run when i turn on the key, just the relay clicking, when i turn it over a bunch and pull the plugs none of them are wet or even smell like they have been sprayed with gas...

I don't have any spark to the plugs

I don't have any power going to or from the coil

I checked all my relays, all my grounds, all my fuses...Everything looked perfect

I looked for loose connections, bad wires, corrosion...Found none.

I cycled the key on and off 3 times, i have no check engine light what so ever...

So im asking you Dakota experts on this site for help..Im lost and dont know where to turn..

My guess is that its 1 of 3 things..

1.Bad computer
2.Bad crank shaft position sensor
3.Bad camshaft position sensor

The thing that troubles me is that if it WAS to be a sensor..why am i not getting a check engine light?! Does anybody know how i can check these 3 things to make sure they are functioning properly so that i can rule them out?!?

Thanks for your help!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my guess is as good as yours. people on here are pretty smart. I ask alot of "dumb" questions instead of thinking it through. Atleast you checked everything lol

Old 06-21-2010, 03:54 PM
airhead259
Rookie

i had the same issue with my dakota it turned out to be the a corroded splice under the asd relay box under the hood here is a thread that has everything u need to know about the splice https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post1678925
i hope this helps u

Old 06-21-2010, 08:54 PM
scspeed

Originally Posted by airhead259
i had the same issue with my dakota it turned out to be the a corroded splice under the asd relay box under the hood here is a thread that has everything u need to know about the splice https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post1678925
i hope this helps u
Excellent...Did exactly this ^^ and had my truck running in a matter of 10 minutes!! Thanks a tun bro, wouldn't of found that with out ya!

Old 06-22-2010, 02:47 AM
airhead259
Rookie

Good to hear glad I was able to help

Old 12-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Dan H

94 dodge dakota, 5.2 liter. Thought I had a bad fuel pump( wasn't the pump) just not getting power to it. I pulled the relay, jumped pin 86 to 87, fuel pump worked. Put the relay back in with key on, no power to green and black fuel pump wire. I was told ignition switch, distributor, crank shaft positioning sensor,and oil pressure sensor. (it was non of these). the wiring is also good back to the fuel pump. Please help, what can I try next? Thanks !

Old 12-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Dan H
Default No Power to fuel pump

Dan H94 dodge dakota, 5.2 liter. Thought I had a bad fuel pump( wasn't the pump) just not getting power to it. I pulled the relay, jumped pin 86 to 87, fuel pump worked. Put the relay back in with key on, no power to green and black fuel pump wire. I was told ignition switch, distributor, crank shaft positioning sensor,and oil pressure sensor. (it was non of these). the wiring is also good back to the fuel pump. Please help, what can I try next? Thanks

Quick Reply: Need serious HELP with my 94 dodge dakota (wont start)