1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

plastic valance removal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post plastic valance removal?

Is there any reason to keep it on there? I like the look without it and ive read on some sites that it can cause all sorts of problems like overheating, and what not. Any truth to this? Couldnt find a straight answer.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Bump
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im pretty sure its purely cosmetic. I have been with out one for a couple years now. A harder than I thought snow bank removed mine for me 2 winters ago.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran

Originally Posted by Bump
Im pretty sure its purely cosmetic. I have been with out one for a couple years now. A harder than I thought snow bank removed mine for me 2 winters ago.
i did the same thing in my neon last winter. but i cant wait for winter to come around. havent had my dakota for snow yet. will be interesting. just gotta add some weight in the back. might bolt down a steel plate in the back, or be lazy and do sandbags

Old 06-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I haven't had mine on for 5yrs or so. I hate it. Its ugly.

There is 2 reasons I have heard.
1. Like you said it helps moves air through the radiator.
2. It is meant to helps keep the air flowing under the truck. Less wind resistance on the truck = more power/MPG.

But it will not overheat your tuck. I even have a skid plate that if anything restricts the air flow below the bumper even more, and no overheating.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Bkilla
Amateur

in terms of Aero Performance, you want to prevent/control the amount of air under you. Less air under=better. you can't totally stop the air from going under of course but in a high performance app they try and control the hell out of it. have you ever seen the banned "sucker" cars that raced in Le mans? the also baned moving side skirts. look at the back of one of the GT Vipers they get more performance out of the rear defuser then they do the wing on the deck lid.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Bump
Veteran

haha... completely agree with the effects of body panels on speed and economy, but sorry, stickers and body kits wont give you more power. Common misconception of ricers. The only way a body panel will make you more power is if it allows more air to an intake.

Keep in mind that this is about a 15 year old boxy shaped pickup truck and I doubt you will see any speed increases or fuel mileage increases with or with out that little plastic pos. In the case of this vehicle, its purely cosmetic.

It might have been installed with the thought that it might help with cooling but I have and others have been running with out it and have never had a problem. And I HIGHLY doubt that dodge ran this truck through a wind tunnel when they designed it for speed tests! haha

Pull it if you dont like it.

Last edited by Bump; 06-22-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran

gonna go do that when i quits raining. been raining for the past week...

Quick Reply: plastic valance removal?