1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Back in action! (sort of)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 PM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in action! (sort of)

What up forum!

Just wanted to drop in an update for everyone!

Anyone remember my post about how i put a fuel pump in and couldn't get the truck started? you don't? it's right here https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ease-help.html lol

Anyway, I tackled the second half of the repair which was getting power back to the pump again. I cut all the tape away from the main wire bundle under the PDC and found a second batch of wire inside of it wrapped in a really gooey sticky nasty tape that i can only suspect/guess to have been some kind of black duct tape that had deteriorated over time and turned into a spongy sticky mess. yuck! So i got all of that removed too. Under that mess was bare wire. Strangely enough the truck actually started after removing all of this! :-0
I found a bug in the wires. No, literally a bug was inside the tape of the wires. I sifted thru the bundle to check for any bad wires, didnt find any. We messed with the wire bundle some more and still no issues. finally i taped up the bare wires and wrapped the bundle back up in new tape and she's up and runnin from there!

We also got the new shocks installed in the back. Took her for a test drive after we checked everything over a few more times. I didn't go far because I lack lights/bed/mud flaps right now and live in the middle of the city :-0 but the little driving i did do the truck took to it well. The only weird thing we experienced is while my friend was sitting with the truck in drive but on the brake it slowly started bogging down like it was gonna die. Put it in neutral and it was fine after that. We think that may be related to the Neutral Safety Switch being bad.

Anyway, tomorrow the plan is to do plugs, wires, PCV valve, oil change, and any other maintenance things that come to mind. Oh yea! I plan to do the rear diff oil and check it out as well! It's makin noise back there and i want to see what the extent of the issue is!

Whew, alright well that about wraps it up. In the end the truck is runnin and it's time to move on to the next issue!

Later Forum!

Old 07-14-2010, 12:47 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The Neutral Safety switch has nothing to do with the brakes. If they were failing most likely you will have a bad master cylinder.

Sounds like you got a lot of light duty maintenance stuff.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:09 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran

If the dist. cap shows signs of wear, might consider changing it with the plugs and wires. Made a big diff in how my Dak runs...180K plus on the odometer and you can barely hear/feel it running at idle...very smooth.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:31 AM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
The Neutral Safety switch has nothing to do with the brakes. If they were failing most likely you will have a bad master cylinder.

Sounds like you got a lot of light duty maintenance stuff.
Yea lots of maintenance stuff for sure. the previous owner didn't really know anything at all about how to care for vehicles so he just kinda let everything go.

W/ the bogging thing, it wasnt so much the brakes being on. It was just that when it was idling in drive with the brakes depressed after a minute it started to bog and not run well at all. As soon as it was put into neutral, everything idled fine. I personally dont suspect the NSS but my friend thought maybe that was part of it. We do know that switch is bad, the truck will start in any gear :-o.

I'm sure wear on the dist cap will be apparent when I look at it, but can you guys give me anything specific to look at or look for?

Time to pound a pot of coffee and get ready for my day!

thanks!

Old 07-14-2010, 12:22 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Check the dist cap for cracking/crazing. The contact points in it may be glazed or worn, too. The end of the rotor makes the contact, so check that. Cap and rotor are pretty cheap, so cleaning up a worn one to use again really isn't worth it IMO.

Quick Reply: Back in action! (sort of)